Author Topic: Are these night terrors?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline cindy_30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Are these night terrors?
« on: October 14, 2005, 14:16:08 pm »
My 11 month old DS started waking through the night and I'm not sure what to do.  He stands in his crib and cries.  When I go in to tend to him, this is where it gets worse, he gets hysterical..  He starts squirming and crying and it sometimes takes me up to an hour to calm him down.  If I put him back down, he cries louder.  If I hold him, he won't sit still.  Eventually, he'll fall asleep on me as I rub his back, I'll put him in his crib or with me and about an hour later, the whole thing will start over. 

He's not a baby who cries a lot and even when he was younger & woke in the night, he would just fuss, hardly ever cried. I'm wondering if these are night terrors....but then I'm not 100% sure what they are.  Anyone else have this problem?

mommasboys

Are these night terrors?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 14:43:24 pm »
Dorian has been waking in the middle of the night also. It's about the same time every night.  He will wake up screaming.  I'll go and get him and hold him and he'll just keep crying.  He won't be still and he won't even open his eyes.  So the other day at his 1 year check up i was telling the dr. about it and she said that it sounded like he was having night terrors.  But unfortunatly she didn't tell me how to help him.

So, i started thinking usually before bed he's in the living room with me and my DH and 9 times out of 10 we are watching something that would be scary for a little kid.  So lastnight i let him go play with chase in his room.  I don't know if that's the reason but he slept throught the night.

It is very hard to deal with for me because i don't have alot of patiance.  But i just try to think about how he must feel and try to comfort him any way i can.

I hope it gets better for you. :D

Offline cindy_30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Are these night terrors?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 14:06:46 pm »
I took my DS to the doctor and found out that he had 2 bad ear infections, so he's on medication now and he's on the mend.  So, if anyone is going through what I just went through, I would see medical advice.