Author Topic: Getting rid of night bottle  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Baby Nanny

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Me and my Angel - 6 weeks old
    • Nanny Network
Getting rid of night bottle
« on: October 15, 2005, 19:05:56 pm »
OK, I have been diluting my charges 3am bottle with water so at the moment he is on a 200ml water, 50ml milk mix.  Mom and I want him off the 3am bottle totally.  We are fine for him to have a 7pm bottle and I brush teeth afterwards  Anyway, we have managed to get him down to only taking about 50ml of the milky water at 3am ish, but now how to get the rest of the bottle away?  I would suggest a sippy cup in the cot so he can have a drink by himself at night (the milk is cold anyway) but he doesn't seem to be able to do that!  Will suggest cutting the teat, but not sure how that will go down with mom and dad!

Tx
Sarah

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:29:31 am »
Can you not just stop offering any bottle and settle back using pick up/put down? If he is only taking 50mls it sounds like comfort sucking rather than hunger - ie he would wake to suck whatever you were offering. The alternative would be to use wake to sleep i.e. disturb his sleep at 2am and then let him settle back to sleep. This way he should get past the 3am 'habit' waking.

Seona

Offline Baby Nanny

• Showing Appreciation 1
    • Nanny Network
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 15:06:27 pm »
Well, I'm not usually there doing the night feeds (I'm nanny :D ) but when I am, he usually doesn't get the bottle from me.  He doesn't wake at a regular enough time to do Wake to sleep.  Also, the parents are the kind of parents who give in very easily (after all he had been off the night time bottle for 3 weeks when I was working nights a couple of months ago)

I have suggested just offering the dummy instead of the bottle but it seems as if Thomas is refusing anyone but mom (ie dad is NOT allowed) but when I do nights, he sleeps like and angel!

I will offer your suggestions this week and see how that goes

Sarah

Offline Baby Nanny

• Showing Appreciation 1
    • Nanny Network
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:43:17 am »
Hey hey :D  An update...
Thomas is no longer waking for a bottle at night.  I had been watering down the milk so it was eventually 15ml milk with 200ml water.  He would take a sip, say no MILK mom would show him it was white, he would take another sip, refuse, ask for his dummy and went back to sleep.  I did an overnight 2 nights into this and offered him water (it was a hot night and I was thirsty too) he had a few sips and asked to go back to bed.  So hopefully it is sorted for now!  lol