Author Topic: sleeping on their tummies???  (Read 1323 times)

Offline MarkusSimm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 21, 2005, 14:10:33 pm »
Hi there

Can anyone tell me if they are putting their little one to sleep on their tummies b/c my 6 mth old is still being wrapped for bedtime and my in-law keeps telling me to try putting him on his tummy b/c that was done back then.  That way he doesn't hit his face with his hands and u don't have to worry about him trying to play with his feet etc.

Any comments will be helpful. Thanks!
 :)
                                                                       Audrey

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
sleeping on their tummies???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 14:23:19 pm »
If he can roll, it's totally fine to put him to sleep on his tummy.  Isom refuses to sleep in any position but his tummy with feet tucked up and his butt way up in the air.  It used to be recommended to put LO's asleep on their tummy, but since they changed it to sleeping on the back, there has been a 40% drop in SIDS.  However, once they can roll, a lot of babies prefer to sleep on their tummy.  Notice how well they sleep on your chest when your lying down? :wink:   Same sort of principle I reckon.

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 02:40:14 am »
Quote from: Isom'smom
Isom refuses to sleep in any position but his tummy with feet tucked up and his butt way up in the air.

ROTFLMAO

That is soooo Hunter, ever since we started to put him to sleep on his tummy  :D .  Even to this day at just over a year, I'll lay him onto his side, and he wil IMMEDIATELY roll onto his tummy and pull hif feet under him.

Too funny
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline christie79

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 05:44:16 am »
Hi,

Arn't in-laws bossy sometimes? Just because that's how it was done 30 years ago they think it's the only way. My DS never slept on his tummy because I was frightened of sids. I let my mother in-law put him to sleep on his tummy oneday and now he won't sleep any other way. I know the sids risk is low at 6 months, but I still worry and check on him at least 5 times a night. So if you don't want to be in my position and have that worry all the time don't put him to sleep on his tummy, otherwise he might not want to sleep any other way. If he is sleeping fine on his back I wouldn't try to fix what's not broken.

:)  Christie
Christie (25)
DH Jason (35)
DS Jacob (19/04/05)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 12:29:25 pm »
Natalie's slept on her tummy since we brought her home. She's more comfy that way, and it helps keep her hands from flailing. Swaddling made her MAD MAD MAD, so we eventually had to stop it or she wouldn't sleep at all. :( Her ped gives us lots of dirty looks when she asks and we tell her, but too bad.

I did check on her a lot, but it also helped make her neck muscles really strong having to use them earlier, and she's been crawling a couple weeks now FWIW at 5 months.

A lot of reflux babies are more comfy sleeping on their bellies too.

Just another point of view.

Offline joslil

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 20:58:53 pm »
I put mine on their tummies at about 3 weeks.  Probably not good advice, but it is so much easier to lay them down on the tummy.  I think it helps with gas pains as well.  I get the lecture from the pediatrician as well.  She said the risk is there bc they sleep so much more soundly that way - not a great argument to someone who is exhausted!
S - mom to...
pink - 09/15/2001
pink - 08/31/2003
blue - 07/21/2005

Offline Kim -Bailey's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
Angel Monitor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 17:50:53 pm »
My lo sleeps on his tummy also.  My daughter slept on her back, but this little guy just won't sleep with anything in his sight. 
A friend of mine suggested getting the Angel monitor.  It monitors their breathing/movement and an alarm will sound if no movement is felt in 30 seconds (I think or 20 secs, something like that).
The monitor has put my mine at ease.  I no longer go in during the night to check.  Just an idea...I found it helps me feel better every time my doctor asks (suggests)  if I've put him on his back yet.
I hope this helps.
Kim
Jocelyn - Angel Toddler

Bailey - Touchy Baby