Author Topic: permanantly attached to me?!  (Read 1113 times)

Offline kato

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
permanantly attached to me?!
« on: October 22, 2005, 18:59:09 pm »
My son is 4 weeks old and I have recently started reading Tracey's book and like her advice. Have started making a note of feed times etc and we seem to have a 'pattern' emerging but the thing that bothers me is that he will never go down on his own. I have tried pu/pd, shushing and patting but he is wise and cries as soon as i think he is settled. so he sleeps on me in a sling during the day and eve and then in my bed and night!!really want him to sleep in his own crib, what do I do, how do I start please help as we are tired and need sometime alone with my husband and to my self to get jobs done. I think he would be described as atouchy babe. he eats and sleeps well when attached.......advice anyone please gratefully recieved.......... :roll:

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 19:42:45 pm »
hi there,

at 4 weeks, you should be doing pat/shh, as pu/pd is too stimulating for them.  here's a link with specifics:
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/pat-shush-for-babies-under-3-months-old-vt26672.html

also, you may be waiting too long to put him down.  at this age, your lo should be up for maybe an hour before naptime - and that includes feed time.

here's a link to the sleep interview too - lots of good info here!
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/a-special-sleep-interview-with-tracy-hogg-vt451.html

keep in mind that the key point is to stay consistent.  you want to teach him that this is the new way to go to sleep.  he will fight it at first, but with consistent reassurance, you will both get through it.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 04:03:42 am »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your baby!  Tracy;s book and advice is amazing and I have living proof that her methods work! 

At 4 weeks, your lo is still very young, so don't get discouraged with trying to get ds to sleep indendently already...it will take time.  I personally didn't start sleep training until my dd was about 9 weeks old.  Until then I did my best to follow EASY, and I didn't intentionally feed to sleep.  The only "no-no" we did was we would let her fall asleep in our arms, and then lay her down in her crib once asleep.  She was  a very 'fussy' baby that needed to be walked aroudn the house.  at around 9 weeks though we started putting her to sleep more and more awake and used pat-shush to help her get to sleep in her crib.  By 14 weeks she was sleeping on her own! :D

Can you put your son down once he asleep so you can get some alone time?
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline kato

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
pat/shh
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:12 pm »
I shall try again with the pat/shh and hold my breath.....he will not stay asleep if i put him down when he has already gone down. He seems to know straight away. It seems at night he sleeps better. We shall see....i just feel exhausted and feel if i was more rested i'd have more strength to see pat/shh through.

Thank you for the advice........