Author Topic: 5 month old is terrible sleeper - please help!  (Read 3121 times)

Offline finleyfoo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old is terrible sleeper - please help!
« on: October 24, 2005, 17:55:15 pm »
My 5 month old son has never been a good sleeper. He has had some good nights (6-8 hour stretch), some fair nights (5-6 hour stretch), and many bad nights (wakes up every couple of hours). I can't find the rhyme or reason behind it. He puts himself to sleep fine, no props or anything. A bath, I nurse him, and I put him in his crib awake. He rolls onto his tummy, mumbles and moves around for a bit, then falls asleep. I nurse him once during the night when he awakens (occasionally twice when I second guess that he might be hungry), but either way, it doesn't stop him from waking up other times. For the past 2 months (since he was 3 months old), I have done the sh/pat. It works, he does go back to sleep in about 15-45 minutes (and I stop the sh/pat before he is fully asleep). But it's been two months and there is no real sign of improvement. Has the sh/pat become his prop even though I only do it for a minute or so?

His day naps are terrible too and always have been. He is in day care so I can't really do much about it. He does take 3-4 naps per day and usually within 2 to 2.5 hours of being awake. His naps are short though, only 30-45 minutes, occasionally a longer one.

So his schedule (loosely) is:

5:30-6:30 wake up (variable)
6:30 nurse
8:30-9:30 nap (variable - usually only 30/45 minutes)
9:30 nurse/bottle of expressed breast milk at day care
11:30-12:30 nap (variable - usually only 30/45 minutes)
12:30 nurse/bottle
2:30-3:30 nap (variable - usually only 30/45 minutes)
5:30-6:30 (sometimes a short fourth nap at home)
7:00 bedtime/nurse

Then I nurse him once during a wake up (as early as 12:30 some nights, as late as 3:30 other nights).

Is there nothing I can do to reduce the night wakings?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 02:18:07 am »
I think the problem is as he short naps he knows how to fall asleep but doesn't actually know how to go through from one sleep cycle to the next as he always does a short one.
I'm guessing he is quiet spirited & would probably do better on a shorter awake time esp as he is in daycare where it is busy. we found when my ds#1 was kept up too long there he short napped, but by trial & error we worked out he needed more naps there than at home.
i would cut his awake time to 1.5-2hours & try (those times you can) to extend his short naps. He will resist at first, because he is used to waking up after a nap.
If you can get even one nap extended & he learns to 'go back to a deep sleep' rather than wake up in a light sleep phase it should help the night wakings
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 02:34:04 am »
I'm in agreement with the shorter awake time.  Two to two and a half hours of awake time can overstimulate him and make it harder for him to stay asleep.  maybe you could talk to your daycare provider about watching his cues more carefully?  Good luck :)
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline finleyfoo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 13:00:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. In the past I tried cutting his awake time down to 1.5 hours or so to see if that would help. It didn't seem to make a difference and then he resisted going down for a nap even more. During the weekends I try to put him down no later than 2 hours after being awake and I sometimes try to sneak in and extend his naps. But it doesn't always work and even when it does, it doesn't seem to affect his night sleeping. At day care it is nearly impossible to have them put him down that often. It is a group situation and I already had to talk to them about putting him down every 2 hours. Sometimes he is pretty close to those intervals, other times he is awake too long.

Incidentally, yesterday he didn't nap any better than usual (in fact he was awake from 2:00 until 5:00 and took a 30 minute nap from 5:00 to 5:30 at home and yet he had a stellar night. Slept 7.5 hours, nursed, and slept another 2.75 hours. Go figure.

I know his day sleep needs to be better overall, but it's nearly impossible to change it just 2 days a week.

Offline Rachel's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.teamfluffy.com/baby
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 20:24:42 pm »
I have no suggestions to make on how to help here because I'm in almost exactly the same situation.

At home, I put DD down for a nap after 1.5 to 2 hours awake time, and she tends to nap for 45 minutes.  At nursery she can be awake for up to 3 hours, because they simply don't have the staff to keep eyes on each child individually.  Intriguingly enough though, she tends to sleep up to 1.5 hours after being up for so long - completely the opposite to BW logic.

The other problem is that she is generally in nursery for mornings only.  This means I pick her up at 1pm, and of course if she was following a classic EASY schedule she'd be half way through a nap - which wouldn't work in the slightest.  So we're stuck with 4 x 45 minute naps.

Needless to say she doesn't do brilliantly at night - plus she's recently started waking up for an hour to play at 3am.

No help at all I know, but I just wanted to sympathise with regards to childcare.  There is always the possibility that your LO is waking so he can spend some time with you... it doesn't help you get any more sleep, but may at least help you understand his viewpoint...