Author Topic: Help! I don't know what to do  (Read 957 times)

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 28, 2005, 23:28:02 pm »
My 2 1/2 month old is not regular about nighttime sleep at all. I keep hearing from almost everyone that at 3 months they will start sleeping better and through the night. I'm so frustrated!! I have tried to work on a daytime routine that is somewhat consistent and I don't know what else to try. I have him on EASY as close as possible-except for his 30-45minute naps. I try one nap a day to get him to sleep longer by starying in the room. I would do that for all naps but the one day I tried that I wanted to pull my hair out. So, 3 45 minute naps and 1, 1:30 nap. He eats at around 8:30 and goes to sleep between 9:30-10. I tried the dreamfeed but he was still waking at 2 to feed wether I did the dreamfeed or not. One night he slept 8 hours the next night he was up every two hours that next night he slep 4 and then woke up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know he may need more sleep during the day and he may need to go to bed earlier but when I try to get him to sleep more during the day or I put him down earlier he doesn't sleep good at night at all. Please help!! I'm exhausted and don't see an end to this.

Offline momtomiya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! I don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 00:40:44 am »
Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are so frustrated  :(

Just to let you know that my dd is 10 months and she still wakes up once a night to feed.

Is your little one bf or ff?  From what I've  read in other posts and other sites is that if babies are breastfeed they will take longer to sleep through the night than babies that are formula fed. It seems that breastmilk is more easily digested so babies need to drink more so they will wake up more often during the might. 

Do you have a regular bedtime routine for your lo? I remember that when my dd was 2-3 months  I kept trying to get her to bed earlier in the hopes that she might sleep for longer periods. At 2 months her bedtime was 8:30-9:00.  Once we got our dd on a regular routine she slowly learned that after her bath it was bf time and then bedtime.  After a few weeks of this routine we were able to move her bedtime up to an earlier time (7:30). 

I also did a dreamfed with dd until she was about 5 months but then I stopped because with or without the dreamfed she would still wake up around 2ish.

About your lo naps ... can't really tell you much.  My little one is really inconsistent with her naps. Some days she sleeps for 2 hours a nap and other days it's only 30 minutes.  I know she has had enough sleep if she wakes up smiling (even if she has only slept for 30 minutes  :roll:  ).  I haven't tried to extend her naps becuase pu/pd has not worked for us. At 3 months dd was still sleeping quit a bit 3 naps and a cat nap. 

And most important of all is to remember that your baby is unique and whatever other children are doing your child will do things at his/her own pace. 

I hope this helps