Author Topic: weaning and formula feedings - need help!  (Read 1226 times)

Offline jmsjeps

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
weaning and formula feedings - need help!
« on: October 29, 2005, 18:58:04 pm »
Hi!  My son is 6 months old, and he was exclusively BF thus far.  For the past month, I've been trying to get him to take EBM in the bottle to replace breastfeeding...no luck yet.  I was able to get him to take 3-4 oz per feeding, but he was still hungry so I had to BF him afterwards.  And now my milk supply has decreased significantly, so I can no longer express it.

Now, he's on solids (cereal), and I need to go back to work in 2 months.  I've tried to get him on formula, but he hates the taste!  We've tried mixing BM and formula, as well as putting the formula in his cereal - still HATES it! 

SO...I need to get him on formula AND get him weaned off the breast.  Any suggestions?  Please HELP!

Odhen's Mom

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 19:51:32 pm »
hi, i'm going to move this to the bottle feeding forum, where you will be able to get better answers to your questions.   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline jmsjeps

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 22:51:06 pm »
Problem solved!  After speaking to many other mothers, we switched our formula brand to Similac Advance.  It worked!  Our boy didn't cry, didn't spit it out.  The first time he tried it, he drank 5 oz!  Hopefully, this might help someone else.

Offline wes' mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:49:19 am »
Thank you Odhen's mom!!!!!!  I was trying to wean my son starting yesterday and when I gave him a taste of formula, it was as if I put a lemon in his mouth!!  I didn't know what to do, so I tried mixing with breastmilk, didn't work.  I was really nervous, because I'm working and didn't have a good supply of milk frozen.  After searching this section of the website, I saw your post and went straight to the store.  He took a 4oz. dreamfeed of Similac Advance and drank every bit!!!!  He took another 6 oz. today at daycare and then had an expressed bottle.  So far so good. 
Thanks again for the great advice!!!!!!!!!!
Wes' mom  :D