Author Topic: Who relactated???  (Read 3417 times)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Who relactated???
« on: November 09, 2005, 19:38:16 pm »
Please help my memory, I know we have moms on here who have relactated after premature weaning. Is anyone still around to help someone out for me?  :D
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
Who relactated???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 05:11:14 am »
Stacy did you ever get help with this?

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline GraceKellysmom

Who relactated???
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 19:24:46 pm »
Nope but thanks for bumping. I've been finding reading materials for the user that is interested.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Who relactated???
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 20:01:13 pm »
Are you familiar with domperidone? I know they don't prescribe it for reflux in the states but maybe for lactating they will? I used it with dd to boost a low supply and I know adoptive mums have used it... don't know much more about it though...

Good luck!  :D
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Colleen

Who relactated???
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 02:41:48 am »
It's me that Stacy was asking for. :) I am researching/ thinking about relactation for Dawson. I've been pondering it for the last couple of weeks.

I talked to a mom here locally who helped another mom with relactation, and this other mom did use Domparidone. It is illegal (or at least not legally prescribed) in this country so they had it shipped in from Canada. It took two tries to sneak it through customs.  :shock: From what she said, this mom only had to resort to that because she had only nursed for a few days and then wanted to relactate 10 months later.  Since it has only been 2 months since I stopped and had developed a good supply before stopping and have nursed 3 times, she didn't think I would have to go that route.

The biggest hurdle I have to face is that Dawson has no idea how to latch on. :cry: I tried once, but he had no interest. So I did like you do with a newborn and waited for him to open his mouth and then squeezed my breast and put it in his mouth and he tried to talk and it made a noise like when you blow on a baby's belly and he thought that was funny so he did it again. Now every time I try to get him to latch on he just does that.  :roll:  I am trying to track down a supplemental feeder or Lact-Aid. I have the phone numbers for the local LLL leaders, but my phone was dead this morning and Griffin didn't take a nap today so I wasn't able to call.  I also took fenugreek for 2 days last week to see if that would make a difference, and I swear I felt some tingling! Not necessarily milk-making, but my gut says if I can get him to latch on to stimulate (by using the SNS), and take fenugreek, I think I will be able to build up at least some supply. Luckily, he is doing great on solids so I don't have the worry of producing a large enough quantity to completely sustain him. My goal is to build up my milk supply to be enough to stop giving him formula.

I know you are thinking "THEN WHY DID YOU STOP?!?!"  :?  I don't really have the answer for that. Why do most people stop? It just seemed like the right time. Why do I feel like relactation is something I should do? I don't really have the answer for that either. :( I just know that on all things parenting related I always trust my instinct, and my instinct is telling me that this is something I should do.

So....

Any advice or encouragement anyone wants to offer? :)

Offline GraceKellysmom

Who relactated???
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 02:53:03 am »
*waving pom-poms*

No more advice yet, but you know I'll always be your cheerleader! Have you gotten that pump out yet??  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

annamum

Who relactated???
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 02:58:04 am »
Colleen,

you have all of my encouragement!!! You go girl! I think it is perfectly doable, women can even relactate months after they quit nursing. Are you pumping at all? I know that adoptive moms can also produce milk, they pump like crazy, take fenugreek and use SNS. The hardest part of your job, in my opinion, is to get Dawson suck on your nipple. Then, you can eventually start working on your supply. I don't have a doubt, you can do it.

I will get back later, I need to collect my thoughts...

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Who relactated???
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:14:11 am »
Well I have no advice  :( just encouragement!  :)  I'm a big believer in the mummy instinct and I truly believe if this is what you feel you need to do... it is the right thing!!! More pom poms!  :lol: Sounds like you're doing great already!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Colleen

Who relactated???
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 03:21:21 am »
Wanted to add... with this other mom -- she never did get her DS to latch on (keep in mind he had only bf for like 2 weeks and was now 11 months old), but with the Domparidone she was able to pump and give ebm in a cup for several months. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! :) Not sure why I've been keeping this to myself.  :oops: I didn't even tell Tess (who I normally tell every little detail of my boring day :lol: ) until a couple of days ago. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm hoping to track down a SNS tomorrow.

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Who relactated???
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 04:29:24 am »
I wish you good luck!  Do you have a good pump?  Fingers crossed and prayers going up that it works for you guys!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Who relactated???
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 04:35:48 am »
Oh Colleen, just seen this post.  Sorry no advice, but you've got lots of encouragement from me!  Good luck with relactation.

Colleen

Who relactated???
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 23:12:32 pm »
Thanks! :)

In evaluating everything going on right now, I've decided to wait a few days. We are going out of town next week (to stay with family, going from house to house). Plus, the boys' great-great-grandma is in the hospital and not doing well so we may end up going sooner. Then, the day after we get back we close on our new house and will spend that week moving.  :shock:  I just want to make this as successful as possible, and I just don't think I'm a strong enough person to give this the dedication it needs while everything is so crazy.

I have spoken to a local LLL leader who has helped other women with relactation, I was excited about that.

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Who relactated???
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 01:52:52 am »
Colleen- I really suggest the Medela Pump in Style Advanced.  If you need a new pump.  Although I think you have one.  I can't remember if you liked it or not.   Pumping would really help get things going.  You can totally do this :!:
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Colleen

Who relactated???
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 02:59:33 am »
ok  :oops: Please forgive my flakiness.  :oops: :lol:

Right after I posted that, I decided that maybe this week IS a good time to try because while we are out of town I won't have dishes/laundry/cooking/cleaning to worry about, and DH won't be working so he will be around to help with the other two.

So I called my midwife to see if she could recommend a place to rent a pump, and she gave me the name of a place that rents pumps, has LCs, etc. I then played phone tag with the woman until this afternoon when we had a nice long chat. :)

I went to their office this afternoon and rented a Medela Symphony and purchased an SNS. This evening I attempted to use the SNS instead of a bottle for Dawson, but I was about 5 hands short of being able to use it (it did however provide much amusement for D :lol: ). After he went to bed, I used the pump and about 5 drops of liquid came out of each breast.  :shock: I'm pretty sure it wasn't milk, though. It had a sticky texture, so I think it just emptied the gland of the stuff your body secretes to keep the nipple clean and soft. It *looked* like colostrum in color and thickness though (did I ever get around to sharing my birth story in which I would have explained that I pumped over 2 ounces of colostrum while I was in labor with Dawson?), but from my understanding that wouldn't be possible since I don't have any pregnancy hormones in me.

I'm going to pump again in another hour. The LC suggested that in my case I should pump every 3 hours since I don't need to build up a complete supply and because he won't be eating every 2 hours once the milk comes in. She also said I could take 4 fenugreek 3 times per day (I have been taking 3x3) to get things going. And (shhhh!!!! 8) ) she said that she knows of a place locally to get Domparidone if I should need to go that route.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. :) In reading online, I'm surprised to see how rare relactation really is. I'm keeping an open mind, along with a hopeful and optimistic outlook.

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
Who relactated???
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 03:08:39 am »
You go Colleen!!!  I used to think about it.  I don't know why I quit nursing John at 15 months.  He had so many problems with cow's milk and lactose and now I'm not happy with soy milk or rice milk.  It almost seems like it would be worth the trouble to pump for him and kind of creepy at the same time.  But I'm pulling for you.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)