Author Topic: How to switch night feed for morning feed?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How to switch night feed for morning feed?
« on: November 10, 2005, 07:02:21 am »
My 7 month DS has been waking at 3am on the dot for a couple of weeks.  His bedtime is 7pm, last feed at 6-630pm and he goes round to 3am, first he wakes up singing then starts grizzling - im not 100% confident its not hunger as hes not a big eater so always feed him (hes never gone through the night, this long stretch is the best hes ever done) - he takes most of his 6oz bottle so im guessing it is hunger but i read in Traceys book that if they wake at the same time each night its habit and nothing else.  Should i try to settle him other ways, im not sure NOT feeding him will work.  I am exhausted at 3am and he does go back down until 6am no problem but then refuses his 7-730am bottle - so idealy i want him to drop this feed and take a full bottle at 7am - is this possible or should i just carry on as we are? 
thanks x
Hana.xx

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 11:52:23 am »
If you didnt want to go cold turkey there are a couple of options you could try:

1)start diluting down the 3am bottle over the period of a week or 2 e.g. instead of 6 scoops to 6 ounces start giving 5 scoops to 6 ounces, 4 scoops to 6 ounces, etc until you are giving only water. Your lo may be less interested in waking for a bottle if it is just water

2) start cutting down the amount you offer over the same time period e.g. offer 6 ounces, then 5 ounces, then 4 ounces, etc until you are offering only an ounce or two and then you could stop offering completely.

These 2 methods give your lo a chance to catch up on the missed calories during the day rather then leaving him totally starving in the night.

hope you find something that works for you

Seona

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »
Hi Seona thanks for your responce, i have heard of the Ferber method - infact i posted on here a while back and asked if it was worth a shot and people seemed to discourage the idea.  He is however 7months now and weaned so i think its ok - im going to try this tonight and see if it makes a differance.  I dont know if its also waking HIM up at 2am and feeding him to see if it a)breaks him out of the 3am habit (if it is a habit) and b) it will be 5hrs away from his 7am feed so he has more chance of being hungry for it.  Anyway im gonna dilute tonight - wish me luck !!
Thanks.xx
Hana.xx