Author Topic: Back to work - formula questions  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Rachel's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.teamfluffy.com/baby
Back to work - formula questions
« on: November 10, 2005, 16:10:11 pm »
Hi there - I was hoping you could help me with a dilemma I'm currently having.

I spent the first 3 months at home with my DD exclusively breastfeeding, I have now been back at work for about two months.  She is in the nursery for mornings only, and she gets one bottle of expressed milk during that time.

I have been pumping at work, and previously managing to quite easily express enough in one sitting for the next days bottle (5-6oz).  Over the last week or so that has dropped massively, and now I'm lucky if I can get 2oz from both sides.

Having read the previous post 'Back to Work' and checked out the kellymom site, I now realise that I must have had a massive oversupply to have been that efficient at pumping.  I thought that the reason I can't express so much now was because DD is now nearly 5 months, had gone through a growth spurt, and needed the extra. 

What is slightly confusing me is the info on quantities of milk that babies need.  If babies need the same amount (25oz) between 1 and 6 months, then why do they have growth spurts??

Regardless, I simply don't have the time at work to be doing the amount of pumping necessary to keep DD on exclusive breastmilk with this reduced output.  How I feel about that is not for this post, needless to say I'm not particularly happy.

So my question (that took it's time in coming!) is, seeing as I'll have to introduce formula for at least a couple of feeds a week to make up the shortfall, does anyone have any suggestions for which ones are the most suitable for a generally breastfed baby?  Is it a matter of baby's preference, or are some closer in composition / easier to digest etc?  Please bear in mind that I'm in the UK, so no American only brand recommendations please!

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the long post!

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 19:36:25 pm »
We use Aptamil by Milupa.  Both my lo and a friend's lo experienced constipation when on SMA.  As soon as we changed to Aptamil the constipation stopped.  I would recommend it :lol:

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 01:53:52 am »
I can't help with the formula, but can with supply problems. I had alot of problems with supply with my first at around 6 months especially pumping. Full time working and EBF- we made it a year. I started pumping the morning before feeding (and my body quickly adjusting and gave her plenty too) and before bed- that really helped. I also pumped at the same time she received bottles. I was lucky enough to nurse her at lunch and would occassionally pump after that nursing if I felt full. I took advantage of my increased supply on the weekend (probably due from more nursing) and would pump a couple times to help with supply (especially since milk supply would twindle pitifully by Thursday). Lots of fenugreek, lots of water. Hang in there!! :)
Jeni

Offline kzener

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 00:51:10 am »
I definately don't have an overabundant supply and am constantly working to keep/increase my supply.  This is how I increased my suppply:

1.  keep pumping a few minutes after the pump seemed to stop getting milk out
2.  pumped immediately after each feeding (even if I only got 1/2 ounce out..it triggered my body to keep trying for more)  OR
3.  at the time ds only nursed from 1 side, so I pumped at the same time I was feeding him.  (there was an art to that..I used a pillow and nursed in football hold so that I had a free hand for the pump)
4.  drank tons and tons of water

All of the above was sort of a pain, but it worked.  To this day I still pump at the same time I feed him in the morning when he wakes up. (I used to do it when it was a 4 am feed..but now he has dropped that and wakes at 7:30)  I can get out 6 ounces from one breast at that time of the day.  All the rest of my pumping sessions during the day are only 2 from each breast. So if you can catch that first early morning feed, you might be surprised how much you can get.   

I also bought Fennegreek and blessed thistle, but haven't had to take them yet. (apparently you need to take them together) I also bought some mothers milk tea, but not sure if that works well or not.  (i wasn't consistent about drinking 3-5 cups/day)

I hope that helps.  (and yes..I'm in the US in Arizona..so I'm not up at some crazy hour.   :wink: )

Good luck!!  And if you have to supplement with formula, don't feel bad.  Your little one is still getting some great nutrients from you.