Author Topic: Formula made with tap water?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline pixieme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
  • Devon, U.K.
Formula made with tap water?
« on: November 11, 2005, 16:00:45 pm »
ds is 9 mths and due to my being totally disorganised yesterday I hadnt put aside some cooled boiled water to make up his bottle.  He couldn't wait so I ended up making it with cold tap water. :oops:   I know I probably shouldnt do that but was wondering at what age we can stop boiling the water?
Debs

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 17:29:14 pm »
I don't know what kind of water to do you have, but the recomendation here is to boil water only if you have well. If you have city water, no boiling is necessary. We never boiled ours.

To be on the safe side, I'd give a call to the ped. and ask them for the guidelines in your area.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 16:32:24 pm »
Just wanted to echo Sandraorion, we are also on the municipal water line (not well) and have never boiled our water. I was told that unless the water is known  to have contaminants (not as likely with municipal water) you really don't have to boil water to make formula.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 18:29:48 pm »
Here in the UK I have been advised by my health visitor to always boil the water that my LO drinks until he's about 1 year old. The odd bottle in an emegency like yours won't hurt but its always safer to boil it if you can.

Helen xx

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 23:48:23 pm »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops: We have never boiled our water and we have well water.  It is a new well that we dug but I guess that does not matter?  My dd is 5.5 months old and we have not noticed any ill effects.  I guess we will just continue doing what we are doing but I do feel like a delinquent mom. :oops:  :oops:

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 03:33:43 am »
Melissa I wouldn't feel bad about not boiling, some moms swear they have never needed to, and never have, and like you said no ill effects!
I boiled for about 2 months, then dh and I realized that time=money so if we could cut out on the length of time it took to make the 22 bottles we had for the twins we would be better off... we went to a bottled water store, bought a few big bottles (like the ones that go into yuor water cooler) and bought a $15 pump that goes in the top. Making bottles is so easy and we always have a spare bottle in the house. It costs us $2.30 Cdn to get 1 big jusg that lasts us at least 2 1/2 weeks... SO worth our time. If you want to go this route, most grocery stores sell the water in the big jugs. We found it much cheaper at a small mom and pop shop in town.
HTH

Jod
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 04:29:25 am »
Amazing how advice differs in different areas isn't it! For example we are told here not to use bottled water to make up formula with unless we really have to. I think its something about mineral and salt content being too high for babies? My Health visitor told me only to use Evian... not sure why lol.. maybe she has shares in the company lol.

Personally I think that when we have babies we tend to get a bit toooooo fussy sometimes and take tooooooo many precautions. With some things so long as our babies are happy and healthy with what we are doing then its fine.

Melissa you most certainly shouldn't feel bad for not boiling your water - Lucy is obviously thriving so you should be proud for doing such a good job. I know what you mean though about being made to feel delinquent sometimes as I used to filter my tap water with a filter jug to make the babies formula with and then was told that I shouldn't be doing that either.. lol..

I think personally for now I will continue to boil the water for William's bottles - mainly though as it needs to be pretty hot for the Omneo comfort formula I use so its just as easy to boil it and let it cool a bit!