Author Topic: 13+ mos. old hungry all the time? or bored?!  (Read 1694 times)

Offline dmills

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
13+ mos. old hungry all the time? or bored?!
« on: November 14, 2005, 16:25:23 pm »
Okay, I have a small dilemma.  My ds is 13 + months and apparently wants to eat a lot and often.  His schedule looks like this:

6:30 6oz. of milk in a sippy
8:00  Breakfast: 3T. of cereal or a waffle and fruit
9:00 nap
10:45 Snack : a mix of Cheerios, Wheat Chex, and dried fruits or yogurt
12:00 Lunch:  Pasta pick-ups and veggies or half a jar of meat sticks and veggies, all followed by a few veggie crackers.
1:00 nap
3:45  Snack:  biter biscuit, or yogurt, or the same morning mix.
5:30 Dinner:  Little Entree with a arrowroot cookie or a melba to follow
7:00 Bath, story, sippy with 6 ozs. of milk and bed.

The problem is after his morning sippy he whines a lot and then does the same thing as we finish up a meal and while I prepare dinner.  Even distrcation doesn't seem to work.  The reason we think it is he wants to eat is he heads for the high chair and stops while we give him a little something.  Should I be feeding him more and at those "fit" times?  I hate to reward the crying.  Or feed him more at meals?  He is a big boy and don't want him to be a grazer or over eater.  HELP!
 :?:
dmills

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 02:02:08 am »
Sounds like he is going through a growth spurt. I would offer more at the meals. I have never "regulated" what my toddler eats. I put a reasonable portion out & if he finishes I offer more. If he doesn't so be it. Sometimes he can eat more than me for a meal & others not enough to feed a sparrow. As long as you are giving good healthy food I would let him eat as much as he feels he needs at this young age it is not really possible for him to get fat or overeat.

Also research seems to show that overeating in children is more linked to parents "withholding" treats & so when offered them children binge.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Alison_3

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 00:51:09 am »
Hi there.  My almost 13 month old eats a lot (meaning a lot of times!) during the day.  He doesn't drink a whole lot of milk...so therefore he has probably 3 snacks a day.  In the a.m., he is very hungry and gets breakfast about 40 minutes after waking. 

I know what you mean though about feeding him when he's fussing.  My ds does the same thing, but even if he has a small snack (a few cheerios and some water), he is happier.  So I just go with it.  Some days I feel like he spends so much time in his high chair!

Happy feeding!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline dmills

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 16:00:57 pm »
Yes, my ds actually pushes us to the high chair or cries out and points to the food cabinets.  It is funny how soon they learn how to tell us what they want and when!!
dmills