Author Topic: 6 months old only breast milk?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline dana76

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 15, 2005, 14:35:29 pm »
Hi ladies,

I would like to know if  bf is enough for my ds or do I offer him some juices or water or tea between feeding sessions? We started solid food 3 weeks ago. 
Thanks for reply.

Dana

Offline DeannaB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • My Blog
6 months old only breast milk?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 16:13:30 pm »
BF should be enough.  I think in the past I introduced a sippy around 7 mos or so, but my kids never really learn to use one til 8 mos+.  I introduce it NOT for nutrition or drink, but simply to let them learn to use one.  I would always give a sippy of water with meals when they are well established (and I always bf a half hour to hour before all meals) just to get them used to it.  They often just played with it until closer to a year when they finally figure it out.   :wink:
Zachary 9/22/01  Kalla 7/21/03
Micah 6/29/05   Maressa 2/13/07

Visit my BLOG

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 04:47:26 am »
Yep, your milk should take precedence over all other fluids for now.  I introduced a sippy at 6 months becasue Lilah never took a bottle and I thought maybe I could go out or something if she could drink from a sippy, but she didn't really "get it" until about 9 months, at which point she was only nursing 4 times a day anyway.  So if you want to try a sippy, you can give small amounts of water, but your breastmilk is not only enough, it's still the most important food for you ds.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:55:53 am »
I also started with solids at 6mths and only offer the sippy of water for practice and a little sip afterd her food, but definitely not for real quenching purposes.  My dd hasn't really got it yet at 7.5mths and my ds only started to really drink water from 8mths.

Offline dana76

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 23:32:27 pm »
Thank you for your advices. I've already introduced a sippy cup but it seems he doesn't interested in it yet.  I fill it with water and it was funny to see his grin when he taste it.