Author Topic: egg allergy  (Read 1638 times)

Offline mere&braden

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
egg allergy
« on: November 16, 2005, 17:15:58 pm »
Anyone have suggestions for variety for a child who has a egg allergy? :(
Braden will be 8 months old on 11/19.  I want so much to introduce him to many foods but I'm so limited because almost everything has egg.  He is specifically allergic to egg whites.
Any suggestions?  We have been through all stage 1 foods, stage 2, puffs, cheerios, bitter toast and cookies.  We have also tried Jello, and mandarian orange slices and bananas.  He only has 4 teeth but more are comming!  If anyone has any receipes please share. 
Meredith & Braden
Meredith

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
egg allergy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 16:45:21 pm »
Hello Meredith, I'm sorry your post has not been picked up sooner :oops: . How are you getting on? Have you checked out the food allergies forum yet, they're great in there, really supportive and helpful.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/food-allergies-vf62.html

Can anyone help with Meredith's question?
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
egg allergy
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 17:27:56 pm »
i used to have our "favorites" list but cannot find it.

your best bet is to visit every heath and nutrition store in town.  ask ask ask!  they know which products are egg free but mostly they know which ones taste good.  i spent a lot of money figuring out what my son liked.  obviously fresh foods are your best bet but there are egg free waffles that are good :-)  you can then put carob chips on them :-)  or applesauce :-)  blueberry syrup :-)  lots of variety there. 

as for baking Energy Egg replacer is ok, but i found a basic egg substitute worked best.

1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp liquid(water or anything!), 1 tbsp vinegar. 

mix that up just before adding it to the mix of whatever you are  making. t hat is equal to one egg.

i have a few other subsitutes but this one is the easiest!

but the heath food stores are the best way to go.  once you find a brand of product you like it gets easier.

i will keep looking for my list....my son is no longer highly allergic to egg.  he passed his tests but he hates egg and now only gets it in baked goods from the store.  he can't tolerate a lot of it still though.  same with his dairy allergy.  they consider him non allergic now but he still get diarhea from too much of those foods.  we are about to go dairy free again i think....the egg wasn't too bad.  often when looking for dairy free you also find gluten and egg free. 

good luck
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12