Author Topic: Techniques for wake to sleep for a 6 month old  (Read 983 times)

Offline Linda74

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Techniques for wake to sleep for a 6 month old
« on: November 16, 2005, 18:11:33 pm »
I just tried wake to sleep on my 6 month old in efforts to extend his nap and I woke him up.  I just touched his cheek and he stirred ever so slightly...he just moved his arms and now he's awake.  What are the best techniques to try to minimize the likelihood of waking them up?  He doesn't have a toy or anything that he likes to hold.

Thanks
Linda

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 03:15:55 am »
At what time or point in the nap did you do the ATS tech?

best techniques?
-catch them in the deep sleep part of the cycle (1st 20min light, 2nd 20min deep...apprx)
-start gently at first
-don't bring them to full consciousness
-keep room really dark

It takes some trial and error to get it right, so i wouldn't give up yet.

What is happening that he needs this?

Offline Linda74

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 14:55:53 pm »
Hi Michelle

I'm trying to extend his 45 minute naps.  But i'm starting to wonder if I should wait and see if they will fix themselves as I extend his activity time.  He's started having longer naps the last few days...but not always at the same time.  I'm in the process of trying to get him on a 4 hour routine.  i've always done EASY with him with the exception of actually progressing him from his 2 hour schedule at birth to the 3-4 hour schedule.  He just always seemed tired after an hour of being awake, so I stayed with the 2 hour schedule.  But then he started waking up more at night, so at which point, I knew I had to fix his daytime routine - by keeping him up a little bit more and started him on solids.  When I did the wake to sleep, I think I might have gone in too early...because I didn't really know exactly what time he had fallen asleep.  I think if his naps don't fix themselves within a week or two, I'll try it again or if he seems happy...I won't fix them at all!  Who knows...I feel like it's always a guessing games with babies as to what works best with them  :D thanks for replying!

Linda

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 05:33:32 am »
Oh you have it exact, it is a guessing game...it is like trying to solve a puzzle!  Welcome to parenthood  :wink: .

IME - extending A time has always fixed the short naps and then if needed use the other tech. eg: pu/pd, shh/pat and/or ATS.

Good luck!