Author Topic: Weanig the dream feed - need advice  (Read 1025 times)

Offline MD

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.opsolutions.ca
Weanig the dream feed - need advice
« on: November 19, 2005, 00:24:50 am »
My lo is 7.5 months old.  He's been eating solids since 6 months old.  I'm starting to wean him from the dreamfeed and am following Tracy's advice about cluster feeding through the day while gradually moving the time of the dreamfeed earlier by half hour at a time every three days until the dreamfeed coincides with his bedtime feed. 

Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Does it work?

I'm back to work part-time and i miss his 11:00 feed 4 days of the week (i pump to keep milk production up).  Because i'm at work, I can't cluster feed in the morning (after breakfast and lunch) so i have our caregiver give him an extra bottle after breakfast and add extra milk to his 11:00 feed. 

Is this going to work?

When i moved his dreamfeed form 10 pm to 9:30 my lo still slept until his usual 7 am wake up.  After 3 days of this i moved it to 9 pm and he woke up at 6:15/6:30 am. 

Should i be doing it differnetly?

Anyone with any experience??
Michelle

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Weanig the dream feed - need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 14:45:53 pm »
Hi - sounds like he is very nearly able to drop the dreamfeed by himself.
Tracy says that the dreamfeed should continue until they are 8 months.

Here's what I did.
I used to do the df at 10.30 and I started moving it earlier in increments of 10 mins every few days until we got to 10pm.

When he was 8 months,I diceded to see what would happen if I didn't df - he woke at 2am and guzzled down the formula that I gave at the df (all other feeds were bf)  so I went back to a 10pm df.

a couple of weeks later  there was one night we'd been out and I really wanted to go straight to bed, I took it as an 'experiment' to see what happened.  He didn't wake.  He had stopped the df by himself at about 8.5 months.

Alex