Author Topic: 5 months old that wakes about 10 times each night...  (Read 1099 times)

Offline oritsfadia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 months old that wakes about 10 times each night...
« on: November 27, 2005, 10:01:35 am »
Hello!
We live in Israel and we found the book fascinating!!
My son is now 5 months old. He has a routine in which he sleeps 3 hours during the day, at 20:00 a bath, a bottle and then into his bed around 21:00 and he knows how to go to sleep alone.
When he was 1.5 months until 3 months he slept a whole night from 22:00 p.m till 6:00 a.m, but one night everything changed...
Every night at 01:30 a.m. he starts crying (while sleeping) and we get up and give him the pacifier and then he get back to sleep immediately for half an hour and wake up again, cries while sleeping, we give him pacifier, he sleeps for another 1/2 hour and etc... until 06:00 a.m, then we give him a bottle.
I know that he is not hungry because when we fed him few times, at 01:30 he continued to wake up.
We don't know what to do, we are exhausted... we didn't try the "5 minutes" method yet, but we practically tried everything else (feed him, add corn flour to his formula, make him tired during the day so he might sleep stronger at night, I also gave him natural drops for relaxing...nothing helped)

May be someone here can contribute from his experience...we would be grateful!!!
Thank you!

Offline Ilse

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 months old that wakes about 10 times each night...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 14:22:26 pm »
I know how you feel, I have just been through a 3month nightmare with my 6month old who was doing the same thing. After trying the techniques from the book, I decided enought was enough and that I needed physical help from someone so I took my ds to a family centre where they helped me solve my problem.
I had been doing the pu/pd method with my ds and it turns out that he doesn't want me to touch him at all as he gets overstimulated. The nurse suggested I pat him to sleep which I did for about 5 minutes and the intensity of his cries got worse, and he started crawling round the cot (to get away from me). She then suggested I sit back, and about a minute later his tone dropped to a whinge. She then called me out of the room - 30 seconds later, he stopped crying and another 30 seconds later, he fell asleep and slept for 1hour straight and then his afternoon sleep he slept for a straight 2 hours, neither of which he had done before.
As much as I was happy that his nap had improved I was not sure if it would solve my night problem as that my ds was waking practically every hour starting at 10pm. The nurse said it may take a couple of weeks, but that night he slept till 3am, fed and then woke at 7am. The next night, he woke at 10pm and it took me an hour to get him to sleep, he woke at 2.30am and then at 7am. Then last night he woke at midnight and then at 4am and then at 7.30am. Huge improvements! Even though it worked for my ds, it may not work for yours.