Author Topic: Please suggest me .........  (Read 1351 times)

Offline harini

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 28, 2005, 17:13:14 pm »
Hi i am very confused if my 6 week old baby is getting enough of feed from me bcos she eats for 4-5 times a day and each feed will not last for mor ethan 15 mins , her doctor says her weight is ok as\nd is improving but now am really feeling worried . please help me ...........
Harini

Offline Angel Face

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Please suggest me .........
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 00:18:51 am »
Don't worry... If the weight gain is okay then don't worry. Some womens milk is richer then other. 15 min is great! My DD takes less then 10 min to empty the breast and it is because they become more efficient.
Do you single side or double side feed? My dd eats 6 times a day and she is a hunk! I do a combo of single and double side feed, just depends on the time of day!
Don't worry!
Rebecca
Mother to Madison Lyn & Justine Anna
DD#1: May 20, 2003
DD#2: August 3, 2005

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,..." Psalm 127:3

annamum

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 00:47:11 am »
Is this how often she wants to nurse? THe way to make sure she is getting enough is by output in breastfed babies. Is she producing 6 or more wet diapers and 1-3 dirty ones in a day? Is she active, happy, content and alert? Is she developing new skills? Is she gaining weight? If you answer yes to these then probably she is getting enough.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:36:19 am »
Natalie (my second) was a very efficient eater from the beginning. Unlike her older sister, whose feeds took 40 minutes or more till 3 months, Natalie managed to gain tons of weight on 10-15-minute feeds. It's only now that she's bigger that she needs longer at the breast.

I agree: if the weight gain is good, and there are sufficient wet and poopy diapers, then you're OK. You can always offer more, but hey, if she's getting enough that she can sleep at night (and so can you) and still gaining OK, then rest easy! :) And not to worry, there's bound to be a growth spurt soon that'll make you wonder if she's eating too MUCH!!!! :lol:

Offline harini

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 11:20:29 am »
Firstly thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. My DD is fullfilling all the above mentioned needs pertaining to sleep, wet diapers and so on.. i am actually worried bcos she looks too thin and weak, i am not really satisfied i feel she should have been more healthier than what she is . IN another 1 week she will be enering into 3rd month should i give her any extra diet other than milk plse suggest.
Harini

Offline stressybessy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 12:03:25 pm »
Hi...
I breast fed my DD and she was always underweight... looked skinny too. Under pressure frrom the health professionals I began giving her  top up bottles and weaned at sixteen weeks.
It made absolutley no difference!! she is now 2.5 and still little despite three meals a day, snacks and milk. I suppose some of us are just on the slight side by nature. She is perfectly healthy, despite eczema which I blame on the early weaning.
It sounds like you are doing a great job, good luck in whatever you decide xx

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 20:04:33 pm »
I think if your baby is gaining weight and your dr is happy, then everything should be fine.  I don't think you need to supplement this early unless advised by your doc.

Hope it all works out.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)