Author Topic: 6 month year old screams after bedtime bath - suggestions?  (Read 885 times)

Offline ericasipes1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month year old screams after bedtime bath - suggestions?
« on: December 01, 2005, 15:32:29 pm »
Our little Emma will be six months old in a few days and has been on EASY for several months now.  She seems to love any routine we put her on with one exception.  Here is her nighttime routine:

5:00-5:30 catnap
6:30 bath
6:45 bottle (usually 7 oz.)
7:00 bed
10:00 DF (4 oz.)

She actually goes to bed pretty easily after minimal fuss.  The problem is that after her bath (which she seems to like a lot) we get her out, bring her into the nursery, lay her on the changing table and then that's when it all starts.  She screams and thrashes until my dh gives her the bottle.  Now I realize that this really isn't a huge problem but it is frustrating for us and especially for dh.  After all, that is one of the only times he gets to spend with her during the day  :(  I've tried being in there when she's doing this to calm her, that doesn't work.  Pacifier doesn't work.  We make sure the room is nice and toasty, that doesn't work. 

Anyone have any suggestions to help cut down on the screaming?  We feel like we are abusing her!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 15:47:29 pm »
Hi there. Marisa does this too. She seems to really enjoy the bath while in there, but all heck breaks loose afterward. We figured out that it must be too much stimulation for her at night and now give it to her in morning or midday instead and it seems to work much better!

Instead of a bath at that time, perhaps you and DH could give her a relaxing massage before bottle? Or just quiet play?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 17:05:00 pm »
Mine does that too.  I thought she was cold, so tried the space heater.  No change.   I'll try changing the time next.  Thanks!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Paulsmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 17:37:58 pm »
Hi, our DS used to yell after getting out of his bedtime bath too.  Starting around 6 mos we moved bathtime earlier to right after his catnap (if he takes it, we have solids before catnap) and then he gets to play in his pajamas (usually with dad) until time for his bottle and bedtime routine.  I think when we did the bath right before his bottle he didn't have the patience for the whole getting dressed part and wanted us to hurry up with the bottle already.  Now he associates bathtime with some play and is not so hungry and fussy anymore.
Cynthia

Paul--spirited/March 2005
Joseph--touchy-textbook??/Sept 2006

Offline ericasipes1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 17:39:35 pm »
Thanks...we've been wondering if we should give her a bath at another time but that's kind of my dh's special time with Emma - I would hate to take that away from them. 

And the other thing I forgot to mention is that even if we don't give her a bath, she still screams no matter what when we're changing her before that last bottle.  We had a babysitter over last night who didn't do the bath and Emma screamed and squirmed until her bottle.  So I don't know if it's overstimulation or not.  It's so bizarre because she normally is just fine with changing time.