Author Topic: A tip for freezing baby food  (Read 2465 times)

Offline kyemickaj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 02, 2005, 11:12:05 am »
Here's a tip that I found really helpful!  :D

Rather than using ice-cube trays to freeze my baby foods, I use a non-stick muffin tray...  It works a treat and is just the right quantity for my LO.

I make up a batch of, say pumpkin, and then spoon it into a muffin tray lined with glad wrap and then pop it (covered with glad wrap also) into the freezer.  I then, once it is all frozen, pull out the glad wrap (very carefully) and then put the portions into labelled take out containers back into the freezer.

This way I have my baby food all prepared and just take them out and use them as needed.  They are so much easier than using ice cube trays as they are bigger and seem to be the exact quantity that my LO will eat.  I make them all up on a weekend of all different foods and have enough to last me about 2-3 weeks...  So much easier!  (I even do it with his rice cereal).

Hope this helps...  If anyone has any other tips for feeding solids that they would like to post, it would be greatly appreciated!

Happy freezing!
Kylie

Mummy to AJ - 30/06/05
Kylie
Mummy to AJ born 30/06/05

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 11:27:59 am »
Sounds like a great idea! :D
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline kendallnangie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 18:22:57 pm »
Hi, I have a tip.
We bought a bunch of those rubbermaid take and toss containers. They are 4 oz and have lids with them. they were really cheap at target I think it was 2.50 for 10 containers. we bought 2 packs and just keep rotating them. once the food has frozen you can pop it out and stick it in a freezer bag if you want, we usually just keep it in the container though.
HTH angie

Offline kyemickaj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 12:05:21 pm »
That's a great idea...  I think I know the containers that you are talking about!  I might have to pop them on my shopping list... Ta!
Kylie

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
number of oz
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 22:02:04 pm »
I love the idea of the muffin trays.  Do you know approximately how many oz each "muffin" is?  I know I'm being obsessive but I'm just trying to keep tabs on how much my ds is eating!!! :?
Judy

Offline kyemickaj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 12:59:44 pm »
:?   So sorry but I'm from Australia and here "ounces" are something that we do not use...  lol!  It's all in grams and mls here downunder...

I really can't help with that one but I will check it out and see as now I'm interested to know... 

This probably doesn't help you much so I'll give you a rough estimate...  I'd say (after checking my frozen goodies) it's probably half a cup.

My ds never eats the whole lot but at least it's easier than ice cubes!

My apologies once again,
Kye
Kylie