Author Topic: rolling over ruining sleep  (Read 895 times)

Offline mom711baby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 02, 2005, 15:04:48 pm »
Hello, my 4.5 month old loves to roll over anytime she gets a chance to.   So when it is time for her to go to bed for naps or at night, she eventually rolls over and most of the time she gets upset because she can't really do anything about it.  I have found her sleeping on her tummy a couple of times, and I am fine with that because her head and neck are very strong now.  So I sort of wish she would just go to sleep on her tummy after she rolls over.  But she gets so frustrated and will not settle into sleep.  Is this one of those things I have to ride out?  Or is there anything I can do to help her get used to sleeping on her tummy?  The past couple of nights and days have been awful because her rolling over is affecting her sleep.  She used to go down great at night, and ok at naps.  But now, during the day especially, she gets overtired because she wants to go to sleep but cant because she keeps rolling over.  Eventually, she gets so mad or overtired that I cannot get her to settle back down and go to sleep.  I have tried putting rolled up towels around her, but she hates it because she can't move, and she really won't go to sleep then.  I just feel like this is never going to end.  I just want her to get used to being on her tummy so eventually she will fall asleep there, instead of me going in her room every so often and intervene.  Anybody else had this experience?  What did you do?  Sorry so long.  Any input appreciated!

Emily
mom to Madeline
7-11-05

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
rolling over ruining sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 20:31:06 pm »
ah, yes, that 4-month developmental mark. 

yup, you pretty much have to ride it out.  try & give her lots of chances to practice her new skills during the day.  when she's having trouble sleeping, try & soothe her until she's calm & let her try to sleep again.

sorry i don't have much else for you.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline webfoot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
rolling over ruining sleep
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 08:58:57 am »
I agree, ride it out.

It sucks when you're in the throws of it but it is only a blip on the radar of future sleep issues. All kids go through some kind of movement related sleep distraction. Totally Normal.

Should you get frustrated...

Not to scare you but the 3 year old's ability to evade bed time will only make you wish you could rewind to this stage....  What I would give for pu/pd versus the NEGOTIATION of bedtime!

Trust me... you'll know in a few years  :wink:
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!