Author Topic: airplane question and feeding  (Read 1593 times)

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: December 05, 2005, 18:20:34 pm »
My doctor recommonded feeding my 6 month old on the take off and landing to help her with the cabin pressure. this is going to offset her feedings for the day. any other suggestions? or should I just do it and roll with it for the day? we land at 6 pm so it may through off her feeding for the night.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
airplane question and feeding
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 10:56:20 am »
I fed my baby (6mo) on landing both times (bf)... travel upsets them anyway so I just went with it. On take off I let him suck on my finger (he wasn't interested in feeding too much going on & that worked, he was very happy all trip.
You could try just offering water if you don't want to mess with the "routine" times for meals.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline PaulaP

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 20:33:30 pm »
That is a very good question to ask - I am due to travel overseas in a couple of weeks time and was wondering the same thing.

My lo has a pacci would it be ok if I just offer him his pacci? 

My lo will not take a bottle when there is too much going on, so would rather wait until he has settled a bit.

Any views would be great.

Paula - Mum to Thomas

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 20:56:11 pm »
My ds#1 takes a paci & we always gave him one... this last time he just had a drink but he is 2 now... so yep Paci works great
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline PaulaP

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 07:51:59 am »
Thanks for your reply.

Offline jordon&dylansmom

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Toronto, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 04:25:18 am »
We just came back from a trip with our 5 mo old where we had a 4.5 hour flight each way.  Thankfully, he slept through most of the flights, both ways, but we did feed him when on landing.  Take off isn't really a big deal but landings are where they usually have trouble.  Not all babies and not all landings can cause this problem with their ears so it's really up to you as to wether or not to feed.  I would just go with your gut, if baby is starting to fuss and is uncomfortable then offer something, breast or bottle, paci works as well although it is really the swallowing that helps the ears. 

Another tip, if your baby is under two and is ticketed to sit on your lap for the flight, bring the infant car seat with you (if its the one for newborns) if there is no one sitting next to you, a lot of airlines with allow you to bring the car seat on board and you can buckle the baby up in that seat for no extra cost.  That way you can a little bit more comfort for yourself and the babies are safely buckled in as well.

Have a great trip!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline minmin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 13:51:03 pm »
yes ,I think landing is most importtant things..so remenber feed him at that time ,no matter if that is not the feeding time yet...baby's ears is much more important than the roudtie....

Offline i-wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 14:41:23 pm »
we're due a 13hr flight mid-Jan.  not looking forward to it.  can just imagine it.......lo will be crying throughout and we'll be getting dirty looks from the passengers around us!!  any tips on keeping him entertained, calm and happy?  also, regarding the feeding during landing, don't lo need to be strapped in?  will the airline allow you to hold him?  we'll be getting a front row seat where they have this table that folds down to hold the cradle provided by the airline (ba).

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 21:46:13 pm »
they actually have to be on your lap on take off & landing (in a double belt) you can only use the "crib" if it is smooth flying. My Sis who flys UK/Australia every 9months has done 6 x 22 hour flights with her lo & she finds that you just need to bring "new" toys & books etc.
Get up & walk around when you can too.
I find for the short flights we do (regularly) I have always "thrown" the routine out & pretty much let ds#1 (&now #2) eat for most of the trip...keeps him occupied.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 08:43:43 am »
We were travelling by plane all through my pregnany and the wee one is travelling by plane about once a month since he is nine weeks old (we live in Scotland and Germany).

During takeoff and landing we would feed him fennel tea and it worked great. Babys that young don't feel the pressure anyway though, because the sinuses and everything are still open, that's way they can suck and breathe in a way that we can't.