Author Topic: I thought this would make it easier  (Read 1337 times)

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
I thought this would make it easier
« on: December 06, 2005, 03:02:27 am »
Ok, I have finally gotten Lindsey down  to one nap.  However, now I think it is even harder to get out than before.  I don't want her to fall asleep in the car in the am because then she will not want a nap later right?  What does everyone else do?  Do you just go out anyway and hope for the best that day?  If they do fall asleep for a short nap in the am will they go back to sleep later?
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 03:22:22 am »
Some days I just accept that if he falls asleep in the am, the afternoon nap is going to be very late and short. (Like when we have to travel an hour for a doctor's appointment)

Other days I do my best to keep him up, including not going out if I know he's having a rough morning. Or I give him a snack in the car, or toys to keep him busy. Our trip time is pretty quick. I like to do an errand or two a day, instead of packing them all into one morning. Makes me tired too.

This, like all else, gets much much easier as time goes on. Max extended his one nap to 3 hrs most days (from 1.5 hrs to start).
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:46:49 am »
Ella too has just gone to one nap. So far so good after a few weird weeks that included a molar coming in but... She's now at about 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the afternoon and I too have been scared of the morning errands. While she's just transitioning I have been keeping the errands short and trying to get them done as early as possible, so it's not too close to nap time when there's more of a chance she'll fall asleep in the stroller. And as Stacy said when it is close to nap time I find a snack definitely helps.

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

CChiang

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:52:07 am »
At that age and stage, I recall, until we got into a good routine, I had to avoid morning outings where she might fall asleep, so that her nap would fall at a more ideal time.  For months we were virtually home bound 'til her nap was over then it was out the door immediately to get errands done and back home for a nice activity/one-on-one time to best queue up the "witching hour" to make supper.  So, I'd aim for an early lunch (11-12), then nap, then errands.

BTW, the mom with the 3 hour napper, isn't the YOU time AWESOME?!?!   :D

HTH, good luck and {{{Hugs}}},  :D

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 16:43:21 pm »
I would run errands, but try to be home before she'd even be sleepy for a nap OR make sure you're not in the car during her old regular 1st nap time OR make sure to bring interesting toys to hand her during those times when she might be sleepy.  I'd always plan my errands to start furthest from the house and work my way closer so that last drive from the last stop home was the shortest and I could usually keep her awake during that shorter drive.  Snacks helped keep her awake while driving as well.  Don't worry.  It gets better!

Offline alligirl

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 20:04:30 pm »
Hey Lynne....

We're working on getting to one nap, but he still has many days of two naps.  If there's a day I try to get him to take one nap, I'll stay home or, if I have to go somewhere, I try to make it a quick trip.  I try to keep him awake in the car by singing or talking to him or making Stephen do something silly.   I kind of just wing it and if he doesn't get a good nap, I try not to fret about it.  This transition time is so hard...but it does get easier!

I'm gonna move this thread over to sleeping for toddlers if you don't mind.  I think it'll fit there and you might get more lookers and advice! :D
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09