Author Topic: Very fussy 1 year old!  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Jay201104

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Very fussy 1 year old!
« on: December 07, 2005, 21:31:22 pm »
Hi my Jay has just turned one and was weaned at around 5 months. He has always been a really great eater and never turned anything away untill recently. He loves fish fingers, potato waffles and smiley faces etc and also dried cereal and toast but thats about all. I am at the end of my tether with him. He has gone totally off any jars or anything mashed down like creamy mash with veg or anything and his taste for finger foods is very limited. I have tried him with all kinds of fruits, cubes of cheese, veg sticks, bits of chicken and ham, small sausages, cheese on toast, egg, french toast.....everything and he won't have any of it. It seems to be the texture he doesnt like. He picks them up and immediately throws them away in disgust! :roll:   Help!! What can I feed this boy??? I feel he is not eating anywhere near enough during the day and he also went off his milk a while ago maybe only taking 12-14oz a day max.  :(

Thanks
Gemma[/url]

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:11:00 am »
Is he any better? do you think it may be teething or a real food problem?
Kimberley

Offline Jay201104

• Showing Appreciation 0
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 15:19:23 pm »
Hi Kimberly

No he is no better. Eating is a real problem, he will now only eat quavers!!!

Gemma

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 15:23:29 pm »
Hi Gemma,

I am sorry, I don't have any advice for you. Just wanted to say my lo is the same way, she'll hardly eat anything, but I am still struggling to accept it. It just makes me feel I'm not trying hard enough, but I have tried, and she just will take two bites of anything I offer, and the third comes out, and thats the end of her meal. So really, we just have to wait for them to grow up, and hope their tastes will change, and they'll eat more.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 17:01:22 pm »
Does he seem satisfied with not eating anything or is he cranky and hungry?
Kimberley

Offline ForeverHopeful

• Showing Appreciation 0
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 15:10:59 pm »
Gemma~I can TOTALLY relate.  Owen takes one or two tastes of something and the rest gets thrown on the floor.  I'm at my wits end.  I gave him a ham and cheese omelette last night and amazingly he ate about half.  Not much, but better.  Using a spoon is a waste of time unless it's a yoghurt.  He'll always eat those.  Maybe we've just given birth to fussy eaters  :?:

I would love to know how much other 1 year olds are eating  :!: Surely more than my wee man  :)

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 15:24:12 pm »
i'm with you on this one. ryan has been like this since about a year old.there's not much he will eat. he also loves quavers and at the moment is a sausage monster. he has huge texture aversions which i have put down to his reflux probs. up till 12mths he would eat potatoes,veggies,mince but now if i introduce something new he literally gags with it just touching his lip!!!!!! it's soo frustrating.when we do find something he will tolerate he has it daily but then the problem is he gets bored.ryan has never been on jars always homemade foods.i thought it was because his throat was sore but he will eat biscuits and junk that is rougher on the throat than potatoes !!! he doesn't act starving so i leave it,he will eat what he likes,i feel if i push it too much he will not eat at all.ryan only has one bottle of 7oz milk for breakfast.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 19:33:17 pm »
Me too. Up until 12 months dd ate EVERYTHING,  pureed, then decided ok that's it. It's still going on, for 2 months we had weetabix-1 for breakfast, yogurt and fruit for lunch, ready brek for dinner, then in month 3 she added in sweet corn occasionally and meatballs and pasta for lunch- occasionally! And we are still there. Its extremely frustrating cos she wont even try something else though I offer it. I make chicken meat balls with almost the exact same recipie as the beef, no, tonight I made pork mince balls so we will see. She also seems to have texture problems and had silent reflux, we weaned her off her meds at about 12.5 months.

Offline Cheeky monkey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 20:43:24 pm »
Hi everyone

God I'm glad I stumbled across this forum.  I have posted a few questions realting to this topic but needed more answers.

Well we have a little cheeky monkey of nearly 14mths and he won't let me spoon feed him unless its yoghurts/fruit pots etc..

I am slowly relenting to the fact that he wants to do it all himself and so be it if he is not eating enough !  Anyway how do I know how much is enough for a little tummy ?

We also wondered if it was anything to do with his highchair ( Stokke ) or how we conducted his meals, although it doesn't seem to be any of the above. 

I just can't wait for this period to be over as it is very challenging and I worry that my fussiness will end up causing a real food issue  :roll:

If anyone wants to chat let me know...............

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 20:49:14 pm »
ryan went through this aswell and from then on he has always fed himself.he was so good with a fork and spoon.we just gave things like mash and mince in a bowl and he managed.it was soo much easier to let him do it himself, we actually used to prase him for doing so.everyone that came round were so impressed how well he was feeding himself,hardly made a mess.we found he ate more! now with the texture aversions things are a little harder but he does still feed himself but with a little encouragement.i would say let him feed himself,if you think he isn't eating enough offer finger foods as snacks
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 20:53:25 pm »
they do pick up on fussiness ! dh was for ever wiping ryan when he spilt a bit of food and then it became a drama,ryan didn't wan't dirty hands,unless we wiped him he wouldn't carry on eating. i banned dh from the kitchen for a while to teach ryan it was ok to be messy and get food on his hands. now he's not too bad.he will actually copy what we used to do and use the spoon to try and scoop of his chin. ( it's soo cute ) i used to get so frustrated when he wouldn't eat but it was getting to be a battle evry meal time,within reason i just left him to it and evrything was soo much easier

Offline jorjas,mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 18:58:55 pm »
hi,

my little girl can be a bit fussy too.
A great recipe i found you might want to try is frutiy french toast.
its so simple and quick.
just 1 egg, a little milk, a pinch of cinammon whisked together.
dunk some fruit bread in it and fry in a little butter.

its really tasty.

lou

Offline Mom2Jack

• Showing Appreciation 0
Very fussy 1 year old!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 06:47:14 am »
My 14 month old stopped eating at exactly 12 months, unfortuantely coensiding with visits with my inlaws!  My mother-in-law's criticism didn't help matters, but it did spur me on to ask the doctor and other moms.  Some explanations are that their growth slows greatly at this time, so they need less, and a healthy baby will eat what he/she needs.  This helped me some, and then I just kept on trying new and old foods.  Some days he loves something, others he won't touch it.  Also, try flavorful if not somewhat spicy foods.  This was a shock to me, even after a Yahoo! article on babies eating hot peppers and foods, which pose no problem for them.  Jack really likes seasoning--no more bland, "baby" food, he wants "adult" foods, whatever we are eating, often directly from our plates.  Just hang in there and keep introducing a variety of foods.  I usually end up eating what he won't before it goes bad!  Good Luck!