Author Topic: 4 months and spitting up  (Read 725 times)

Offline april97

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:38:42 am »
DS is starting to spit up more frequently and with different consistency (sorry this is kind of gross!). He used to have nice "milky" spit up, in the last 2 weeks it has changed to being mucousy sometimes, chunky others, and sometimes a lot of volume (enough to soak his bib vs. just dribbles).
Just wondering if this is normal? He is also drooling quite a bit - could he be swallowing all of that saliva and spitting it back up? I'm also not sure what vomit would look like from an exclusively breast fed baby - do any of my descriptions sound like vomit? His breath sometimes smells sour when he has the big spit ups. No signs of fever though, so I don't think it's vomit.....???
Mommy to Reid Hartley
July 25, 2005
Winnipeg

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
4 months and spitting up
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 18:30:50 pm »
A lot of times the spit-up changes as baby becomes more mobile and sitting up, rolling over. Keep on with the bibs and towels for clean up. Try to let the meal settle before crazy play resumes  :wink: . You should have a well-baby appointment around 6 months, you can ask your doctor for more info if you are still concerned. But it sounds pretty normal, especially if he isn't bothered by it, to me.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
4 months and spitting up
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 12:55:24 pm »
Our little guy just grew out of what you're describing...he's 9 months! :shock: It's soo  frustrating...bib and outfit changes.  Of course check with your doctor at the next appt but it's probably fine (just more bothersome to you probably!)

Offline ynoterica

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 months and spitting up
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 02:43:32 am »
My lo was doing the same thing and I quickly found out that he was "pre-teething".  He actually has a small tooth starting to pop through.  I took him to the doctor and my doctor confirmed it.  He was drooling left and right.  His drool was very mucosy and just smelly.  Even though they might not get teeth until later on they still go through a period where they are working themselves up to it.  I keep a bib on him pretty much all the time now because of this!  Hang in there! :P