Author Topic: How to wean completely  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
How to wean completely
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:46:04 am »
We have been down to 1 feeding a day (at bedtime) for about a month now and I am ready to be completely done with BF Erica....Stacy...would you have believed I made it 12.5 mos???!!!
She is not dependant on it to fall asleep, although that is usually what happens 80% of the time.  She always drinks lots of soy milk at bedtime in her straw cup, and I am not really producing much milk at this point, it was more for comfort.  Is it better for me to have dh put her to bed after some good Mommy cuddles for a few nights to break the habit? or Should I do it and just cuddle her?  (We do hold her until she is fairly drowsy at night time for our benefit, she will put herself to sleep if needed) I don't know if I can handle it, but I want to do what is best for her.  She is very comfortable with daddy putting her down so that will not be a problem. 
I am ready to have my body completely back, I want to start a weight loss program and I feel I need to be done with all that is going on with us right now. 
The good news is that although she gets no dairy, she did RAST neg for all food allergies tested (milk, soy, peanut, wheat, rice, oat).  I know RAST is not the be all end all, but I still feel better having those results.  I guess it paid off going dairy free.  She will not ever get too much diary since Xavier does not, but it's nice to know I don't have to hover over every thing put into her mouth. 
Thanks so much ladies!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
How to wean completely
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:07:31 am »
Woohoo on the RAST neg!!!! That is SOOOO awesome!  :D

It is nice to be able to help out here. Max has just weaned two weeks ago and I went the dh way. Dh just put Max to bed. He puts his pajamas on, and then rocks him a few minutes and says prayers, and puts him down. He cried the first few nights (as did I - from the other room) and now is fine with it. The last three nights I have been able to put him down the same way dh does. The first night he asked to nurse (pulling up my shirt) and I was just calm and said "all gone" "mommy rock you" "suck your thumb" He cried a little and I thought I'd have to get dh but then he settled and hasn't asked again since then. It is nice to cuddle a little.

Way to go on making your one year goal!! That is so awesome, and doesn't it feel great?  :D  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
How to wean completely
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:40:26 am »
i think it depends on the child.  my son i had to wean by timing the last feed....cutting back by a minute every other day until i just handed him a cup one night while reading....and he did fine!  we had been giving cups of water early on, then did soy milk and he moved over fine.  if he protested bed those first few weeks then i sent dh in and he quit whining knowing mommy wasn't coming to feed him.

my daughter was much different.  i got lucky however and due to moving/living situation i had to drop to one feed sooner than planned..so cup of soy milk she got and one day i was so tired/hot/forgetful(!) that i just put her to bed w/o feeding!  when i realized what i did i just went with it.  she didn't cry for me, so i just kept offering the cup.  she literally never whined about it at all! (kinda hurt my feelings since she weaned sooner than i had wanted)

anyway, i would just start offering the cup of whatever milk you plan to do...and don't feed.  see how she handles it!  if she wants some, then time it(5min to start) and then cut back on the time.....good luck!
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline alligirl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
How to wean completely
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:48:33 am »
Well, as of today, I have Z down to 1 feeding....we're sticking with the morning feed as the last feed to wean and tonight when I would normally nurse him, I gave him cup of formula instead.  He sucked it down (probably got more from that than he would from me) and didn't seem to notice....

I guess, though, that our routine is probably a bit different from yours.  We've always done breastfeed then bath....he doesn't nurse directly before bed. 

Anyway, just thought I'd add our experience.
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09