Author Topic: Just plain tired  (Read 1183 times)

Offline small1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Just plain tired
« on: December 14, 2005, 14:09:31 pm »
My four and a half month old is exclusively bf, and I was going to wait for the introduction of solids.  I feed him at roughly 3 hourly intervals, but it is usually pre sleep because his sister is far too interesting for him that I have to feed him in the dark, so it ends up being pre naps (I also sometimes feed during his nap).  I have tried to introduce a dream feed but he isn't very interested that is 3 hours after he goes down, and he only takes a little. 

My problem is the waking at nights.  I am starting to feel run down with it all, last night he woke at 1 and 5am, having gone to bed at 7pm, had dream feed (ish) at 10pm.

Anyone any advice?  Should I just not feed him when he wakes?
Thanks
Ali

Offline violet

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Just plain tired
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 16:42:24 pm »
It sounds like you're describing my dd's schedule, she's 3 months!

I feel the same way, it's exhausting.  My ds was very similar, and because of that, I started to introduce solids at 4 months (I'm counting down the days until I can do the same for dd).

Keep in mind that I don't think he actually took anything for the first couple weeks.  Finally around 5 months (about 2 weeks of actually taking a decent amount), he was only up once at night (bed at 8pm, wake at 2am, up at 7am).

What about your older one - anything to go by.

Sorry I don't really have an answer, hopefully it feels better knowing your not alone?
Sasha, mom to:

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Just plain tired
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 19:55:24 pm »
Is it possible for you to sleep during the day, can you get them both to nap at the same time ever? Or can you go to bed early and let your dh do the dreamfeed, or skip the df? Sometimes if we can just catch up on a couple hours of sleep life seems more do-able.

One thing I would do with mine at that stage was to keep dd occupied while I fed ds in the other room. She would watch a video or just play in a safe room in the house. Fortunately, it is a stage that comes and goes, the distracted nursing.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline sally & savannah

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Just plain tired
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 20:04:24 pm »
Savannah is just the same, she is 6mths old today, and mainly feeds pre sleep.  Whenever we go out she just refuses point blank to feed as there are so many more interesting things to look at than mums boobs!!!!! I keep thinking at least bottlefed babies can sit up and be fed at the same time grrrrrr - very very frustrating and restrictive!! Any ideas when this stage will pass?? suppose it will get easier when they go down to 3 feeds a day??

I tried not feeding her at nights, we are down to mainly 1 wake up now, but poor wee soul is absolutly starving - mouth wide open and rooting.  Must admitt though once a night is so much easier to handle than twice!! Things will get better gradually!

Offline small1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Just plain tired
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 20:50:42 pm »
Thanks for this, I was sort of hoping to delay the solids as is currently recommended but I suppose it all depends on how well I can cope.  When I tried with my first, it never made any difference and I wished afterwards that I hadn't even started.  But one or two night wakings I can cope with as he is a fast feeder, but I suppose it is the accumulation of it all.

Nap wise, I use manouvers the military would be proud of to ensure I get them down for a nap together, but my lo who is only 4 mths tends to wake after 40 mins and I have to resettle him to get him back for another 40 mins.  So I don't try to nap then.  Instead I am going to bed by 10pm (at the latest).  But I have tried the dream feed but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  At least it is only a phase, and I am obviously not alone.

Good luck to you all, and if you have any luck then please let me know what you used/worked.
Many thanks
Ali

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Just plain tired
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 02:09:10 am »
LOL, that is what worked for me, I used to go to bed at 8pm.  :oops:

Yeah, the solids only made it worse for nightwakings with Max too, and I waited until 6 months. I really think the wakings between 4-6 months are developmental and sometimes even habitual. It just takes some babies longer, developmentally speaking, to be able to sleep long stretches of 8-12 hrs. And 2 nightwakings to eat at 4-6 months seems very normal and almost expected.

HTH. I had to LOL at your "military" comment b/c I was the same way - whatever it took to even get 45 min by myself. I used to like to take a bubble bath at that time if I didn't nap. Calgon take me away.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies