Author Topic: Cooking Meats?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline kal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 14, 2005, 15:37:50 pm »
Can anyone offer suggestion on the best way to cook chicken and also group turkey for DS, I plan to puree it after its cooked but have only done fruits and veg so meats is something new and I don't want it to taste bad or be really dry. Thanks!

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Cooking Meats?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 09:48:37 am »
I microwaved or oven cooked in tin foil. Save the juices, add them to the mixer with lots of water, cut the meat up to help pureeing. It takes awhile to puree as the meat is so dense, it form a very thick paste at first, but just keep adding the water til you've got a consistency you can work with.
Kimberley

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Cooking Meats?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 10:13:32 am »
i cooked chicken for Olivia the other day and it came out delicious (at least i thought so she was less impressed)

i just poached 1 large chicken breast in a pan with milk (enough to cover) and pepper and onion powder until cooked through and pureed the whole lot - it came out smooth and creamy and yummy - i added it to veg purees and have frozen cubes of it
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline mcruari

• Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
Cooking Meats?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 12:16:28 pm »
Another good and healthy way is to steam it or put it in the pressure cooker with a carrot and potato for about 20mins in a little water. When ready, blend all together and as said before add the juice from the cooking until you get the right consistency for your LO.

I think that is pretty good coming from a vegetarian 8)  8)

Sinead
Sinéad

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Cooking Meats?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 18:40:47 pm »
Deb, that's interesting about cooking it in milk.  I have never cooked chicken in milk before.  I think I'm going to try that for myself just to see how it tastes.  You sound like a pretty good cook to me, judging from some of your other posts.  I wish I was that creative.  Though at the moment I'm not doing anything other than cereals, veggies, fruit & yogurt.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Cooking Meats?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 20:50:20 pm »
:lol:  just to clarify - i am all talk!! i try and they refuse and i give up - i have about 5 books and a stack of recipe cards lifted off the net.  i didprepare lots of things for alex but this time around i have been a total mess with solids and Liv is a very picky eater.

i made the chicken out of guilt - and did fish the same way - both delicious - both refused!! so i let myself off the hook and offer a lotof the usual foods and am trying to ooffer the new foods a couple of times a week and cross my fingers

and BTW i am a terrible cook - Dh does all the cooking here and I just find the recipes, shop for ingredients, prep and clean = he does the creative cooking  :lol:  the chicken and fish were bold moves for me  :D

Edited to add: OK i offered the chicken with veggie puree tonight for dinner and she ate the whole lot - never once squirming up her face or spitting it out!! that is why it is so true to keep offering foods!! i feel slightly validated  :lol:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Cooking Meats?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 18:21:51 pm »
How awesome Deb...I got a parenting magazine yesterday though and it has some great recipes in it for simple soups & stews.  I thought I'd post them here to see if anyone wants to try them:

CURRIED APPLE & CHICKEN SOUP

2 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger (I don't like ginger so I may skip this)
1 container (32oz.) low sodium chicken broth
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Granny Smith (or similar tart) apples, peeled & shredded
1 lbs, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked & diced

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion & curry powder, cover and cook until onion is soft, about 8 min.
Add ginger and cook 1 min. more.
Stir in broth and applesauce, increase heat to high & bring to boil.  Reduce heat & cover & simmer 5 min.
2. Stir in shredded apple & diced chicken.  Simmer until chicken is heated thru.

How I will modify this recipe for Rachel since she has no teeth and cannot handle that much texture is to make the soup without the apples, and to puree it once it is all mixed together.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Cooking Meats?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 18:35:00 pm »
Here's another good one, and once the soup is made, I put it in the crock pot to simmer for about 1/2 hour more.   Then I puree:

Beef & Barley Vegetable Soup

2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
1 container (32oz) low sodium beef broth
1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
1 lbs. boneless sirloin steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bag (10oz) frozen mixed vegetables

1. In large saucepan, heat 1 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat.  Add onion, cover and cook until soft, about 8 min.  Stire in broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium, stir in barley and cook, covered for 20 min.
2. While onion is cooking, season steak w/pepper.  Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Add half the steak, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.  Transfer cooked steak to a bowl and set aside.  Add remaining steak to skillet and cook until browned, then add garlic and cook 1 min more.
3. When barley is cooked, stir steak and frozen vegetables into soup.  Simmer 5 minutes.