Author Topic: inexpesive toys to keep toddler busy those early days?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
inexpesive toys to keep toddler busy those early days?
« on: December 15, 2005, 23:27:03 pm »
What types of things did you get to occupy your toddler in the early constant breastfeeding days?  I'd like to pick up a few things for dd, maybe a the dollar store, and want to get the most bang for my buck.  She just turned two and is really into letters and drawing (maybe Magnadoodle for xmas?) and other dexterity types things right now like beads and such.  Thoughts?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 02:19:08 am »
If you are in any book clubs, save the books until after baby comes. Or save back some Christmas gifts to pull out later.

Stickers were Grace's big thing. I could give her a few sheets of stickers and a reusable sticker book and she would be occupied for 1/2 hr. Max hates them though, so every child is different.

Beads with laces are good if you are in the same room. Do you have the LeapPad alphabet magnet thing for the fridge? Crayons and a color book. Grace even loved playing with silly things at that age - kitchen utensils, plastic clothes hangers, a bag of clothes pins, canned food. She got really good at playing by herself around then too, if I'd just get her started with something. Duplo legos are still a favorite.

A couple new DVDs (Sams club is always the cheapest here) can also be nice to pull out.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 02:45:23 am »
I'd say new books, DVDs, duplo, clothes pegs are always a hit around here, definitely a magna doodle as it is quiet, they don't need to interrupt you for more paper (no writing on the walls either), playdoh and bits (cutting tools, shapes...), a doll and bits so can "help" and care for their doll while you care for baby
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 03:09:51 am »
After dd was born I got a "book" bag for ds and filled it with books. Everytime it was time to nurse I would tell him to go get the bag of books and we would read together the entire time. After all the books were read we would go to his room and refill it with ones still on the shelf. He was very happy with the situation and I was happy to know where he was at all times. Plus it gave me some time to read to him when you are otherwise so busy during those first couple months. :wink:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05