Author Topic: Omigod, do things always get WORSE before they get better?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Susie-Q

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Omigod, do things always get WORSE before they get better?
« on: December 19, 2005, 11:59:53 am »
DS is 10 months.  He was a reflux baby, slept in his swing for 7 months and then has been rocked to sleep.  He would always wake up 2x a night for a bottle.  About 2 weeks ago, we started watering down the bottles slowly and have really noticed an increase in his food intake during the day.

So, Friday night we start sleep training.  The first night it takes him 25 minutes to fall asleep (my DH check on him, ssssh' every 5 minutes).  then next night 15 minutes, the next night 10 minutes.  Beautiful. 

But the night wakings!!!!!   My god!  We've gone from 2 night wakings to 4 and a super early wake up!!  I thought it was supposed to be the other way around????  Am I just creating a new bad habit of even MORE night wakings??? Each night, it seems to be getting worse???!!!  HELP!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Omigod, do things always get WORSE before they get better?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:09:13 am »
From my experience & what I have read it can get worse before it gets better sometimes...& if you cave in on just one occasion, it can go back to square one & sometimes worse

I did notice you said your dh, was "checking" every 5mins, I assume that you are doing CC... from my experience with  doing CC at 9mo, it took us way backwards & made separation anxiety worse... I think a much better option is to do Pick up /Put down, where you are there with your lo the whole time, then they are "trusting" you that you are helping them go to sleep, rather than CC, which leaves them to "sleep from exhaustion or despondency" & if they are aged 7-12months, can also make them feel abandoned & wake up more...which does sound like the case.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05