Author Topic: Any tips for undisturbed sleep?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline aventia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Any tips for undisturbed sleep?
« on: December 20, 2005, 13:25:59 pm »
We have been extending and renovating our house for over a year (still not finished but the end is in sight thank goodness!), and Isabelle's bedroom is only just finished and we have now moved her in there.about 3/4 days ago. She is 13months old. So she's been in our room all that time in her cot near our bed.

She does wake in the night usually around 4am, sometimes it's around 2ish, and I started the habit of putting her to bed with us, so we all get back to sleep quickly, as hubby has a very early start to his workday and the other children have school/work etc. So it's to not disturb their sleep too much as well. I don't turn on lights, play, make eye contact, no bottles or any other stimulation, not even a nappy change. She will go straight back to sleep, unless it's her teeth playing up or a cold etc.
Now I have another baby on the way, due in May, I would like to get her to sleep right through without having to get up to her as I'm panicking they will both be awake and I'm having nightmares about it all. I'm even beginning to think I've made a huge mistake with having another baby!
I can leave her in her travel cot in the lounge for a short while, so I know it's not separation anxiety, and she can go to sleep on her own in there without a dummy or bottle. I think she's basically well adjusted in all areas, it's just the night waking that is a habit, although occasionally she will sleep right through till morning in her cot.
Sorry it's such a long post, but I'm thinking the information will help with any advice.

Thanks
Sarah

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 08:58:56 am »
Sarah, I wish I had advice, but my 29mo still wakes at night - talks & while I don't have to get up to him every night, he still wakes me up EVERY night... my dh sleeps through, but I can't.

I have yet to work out why as he doesn't really cry out & need help most nights, but he has been doing this since he was about 13mo, which was about when I got preg with his brother :?

All I can say is keep giving the support in as low key a way as possible & not rushing in too quickly so that you see if she can self settle without you having to get up...it is easier if you are just woken rather than having to get up out of bed.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline aventia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 10:39:48 am »
Thanks for your reply Kate.
I suppose we'll just have to play it by ear then! She is starting to not settle till late in the evening now so I think I'm gonna have to re-think on that too. It was 11pm last night till she settled, I gave her some 'Medised' at 10.30pm as she 's had a bit of a cold, nothing too major, to dry her nose a bit, it helps sleep too, so I cheated a bit I guess. Anyway she slept all night, the best for ages.
Sarah