Author Topic: Weaning Tips  (Read 967 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« on: December 20, 2005, 20:18:09 pm »
My dd is 11mos old and is still bf'ing four times a day due to weight gain problems.  I am ready to start weaning her.  I figured we'd do it pretty gradually, dropping a feed every two weeks or so.  Any tips on how to make the process go smoothly?
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

annamum

Weaning Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 21:56:00 pm »
I think that one of good methods to drop a feed is to make your lo distracted and keep her busy around the feed time. You may want to be outside shopping if weather permits or if you have to stay at home, offer her something exciting to play with. Be sure to offer some nutritious snack instead and make it festive so she can think it is fun to be a big kid.

If you are dropping a feed that used to be after a nap and you nursed her first thing, you may want to take her immediately to her high chair and offer food. Don't forget to offer some extra cuddles to make up for lost nursing time.

Avoid places you used to nurse her, like a rocking chair or a particular spot. Since it is Christmas just around the corner, if you are going to have a lot of family around she may be too busy and excited that she won't remember anyway.

Good luck!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Weaning Tips
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 00:45:52 am »
I did pretty much what Monika suggested and it went painlessly. I also found that the less she got, then less she asked for it.  We're still on 2 feeds a day at 14 months and I'm happy with that for now, but honestly, I think if I didn't offer at those times now, she would barely notice the loss!  :roll:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha