Author Topic: How often should 6 1/2 Month Old be Nursing?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline dallinsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How often should 6 1/2 Month Old be Nursing?
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:50:32 am »
My son is 6 1/2 months and has recently started sleeping through the night. We've also recently started solids (about 4 weeks ago). Well, he loves his solids-here's what our schedule looks like:

7:00 Wake and Nurse
8:00 Solids (1 container of fruit or veggies-sometimes wants more)
9:00 Nap
11:00 Nurse
1:00 Nap
3:00 Nurse
4:00 Solids (1/2 container veggie)
6:30 Bath, Massage, Nurse
7:00 Bed

Well, here's the problem. He always takes a good feed at 7 in the morning and always wants to eat a LOT of solids in the morning. However, he's not hungry-or, doesn't want to nurse at 11. He's suck a little and then not want it. So, I try again at 12, and nothing! It goes the same at 3:00, it's like he just doesn't want to have it at all. He loves the solids at 4, and will nurse at 6:30, but usually just because he likes to nurse to sleep.

I'm going nuts; I don't know what to do. I asked the pedi. if it was possible he just is weaning himself quicker than most; and the pedi said that was probably it-to just go with his flow and offer more solids. Is this right? I thought he should still be nursing as much as ever? I'm kind of sad about the whole thing; I wanted to nurse for 15 months or so-

He is a VERY spirited baby and doesn't settle down for anything. However, it seems like he just isn't eating enough-and he gets mad when I try to nurse him. I know he's not sick or anything like that; it's been going on for a few weeks now. I'm so confused and just don't know what's best. Is this common?

I wondered about going to three meals a day; breakfast, lunch, and dinner-but, will that be enough for him? Say, breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, and dinner at 6? Should I breastfeed and then offer the solid? It seems like he doesn't want to nurse but ALWAYS wants the solids.

Ack! Any advice would be great-I thought he should still be nursing 4-6 times a day; but, he's really fighting it. I know he loves nursing in the night; but we don't want to go there.

Please help-I'm so confused and sad about the whole thing.

Thanks. :)

Oh-he's 29 inches and 19 lbs.-a pretty good size guy. I guess if he's not losing he's dong okay; but, is this normal?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:54:21 am »
My almost 7mo is doing this too... although his relates to "not wanting to miss out on what his big brother is doing" I keep offering & mix as much ebm into solids as I can as he Loves his solids. I have resigned to the fact for at least a little while I need to give him a night feed or 2 so he gets the milk & I maintain my supply.
I try to offer as little solids as I can get away with (about 1-2 tablespoons normally)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 10:25:18 am »
yup, i went through this too! my ds got VERY excited about solids but now he seems to flip flop between what interests him most bf or solids, great for milk supply hmmm?
the important thing is that they get about 18 ounces a day.  sticking some ebm in food is a good way to sneak it in... i am doing some expressing to keep up my supply too.
HTH, good luck!

Offline dallinsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 14:24:23 pm »
Thanks for your advice-I'm glad to hear that we're not alone in this either. I guess we just have busy babies. :)

I was just wondering about solid intake; how much do they need for the iron, etc.? I read that the AAP suggests by six months they're getting three meals with 4 oz. of baby food at each meal-is that right? It seems like so much?

I'm going to cut solids back and keep him nursing as much as he will; I'm just wondering what to cut the soilds back to? A couple tablespoons or so?

Thanks again-you're so helpful.

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 15:28:10 pm »
dd just turned 6 months on the 13th and we just started solids. She wasn't nursing good during her 11am and 3pm feed either but it seems to be because I was giving her solids in between those feeds. Now I nurse first and then give solids immediately after that. She still takes her solids but is hungry because it has been a full 4 hours since her last feed.

Every baby is different but this has seemed to work better for us. Also, I disagree with 4oz of solids at each meal by 6 months. That might be okay for some babies but the general rule now is to start solids at 6 months so it is completely unrealistic for all babies to be eating that much immediately. We do about 1/4 cup Oatmeal cereal once per day right now. So use your best judgement on the solids but keep up the bf's. IMO anyway!
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 20:34:10 pm »
We've been having this problem a bit too!

What i do is give a full milk feed and then offer the solids. This is our routine:

8am Nurse
11.30am Nurse then solids
3.30pm Nurse
5.30pm Solids (sometimes nurse too, but i don't know whether i should try to cut that one or not??)
7pm Nurse
11pm nurse

He is so distractable when feeding too, sooooo annoying!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 00:47:45 am »
Quote from: dallinsmommy
I read that the AAP suggests by six months they're getting three meals with 4 oz. of baby food at each meal-
:shock:

I totally disagree with that (maybe it's an old recommendation?) and I also politely disagree with the ped that you should be pushing more solids.  :?  Until about 9 months, it's generally recommended to offer milk first then solids.  Iron doesn't really become an issue for bf babies until at least after 9 months because they still have the stored iron from pregnancy with the small amount they absorb from your breastmilk - it's enough until then (and sometimes longer!). Then also, for the first year, milk is the biggest source of nutrition for babies - solids are just for practice. So I like the idea of bf'ing first, then solids so that they're really getting the nutrition they need from milk and filling up on that first.

You might have to experiment a bit to see what works best for both of you!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline dallinsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 01:34:27 am »
Thanks so much. Maybe our AAP book is outdated; I'll have to check on that. I was a little upset with the pediatrician advice on weaning himself early-I too was under the impression that when beginning solids his milk amount shouldn't decrease at all-the solids were just practice and a little extra.

So, we've cut back to one meal of solids each day. We're doing them in the a.m. about 40 minutes after the nursing session. Any advice on if and/or when to add additional solids (meals). Should I wait until a year or at least a few more months.

I'm so sorry; I feel like it's all so overwhelming-thanks again for your help and advice.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 12:05:41 pm »
I'll tell you what I've read and aimed for.  You start with a Tbsp of cereal or so in the morning and supper.  The next week, try a different kind (like barley or oats).  Then add a veggie - just a Tbsp at supper.  Then try other veggies after a week or so each.  Then add a fruit.  Etc.  By 8 or 9 months, you may be ready to try some meat and/or egg yolk.  Same idea - add new things gradually and fairly small portions - just for taste.

Most babies won't self-wean completely before a year, so if it looks like that's happening, it's probably:
teething
colds/bugs
distraction
too much solids

HTH! And Happy Holidays!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha