Author Topic: good resource book to buy?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
good resource book to buy?
« on: December 21, 2005, 05:07:20 am »
Is there a good book out there to buy about breastfeeding if you already took a class and know the basics or is it not really worth the money cause most things you can find online or need an LC for anyway???  TIA

FrasersMum

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 05:28:12 am »
Hi Stacie,

Personally a book could never replace a one-on-one with a good lactation consultant. 

I read and read and read but I really neded that "hand's on" help.

I would say save the money and spend it on a consultation.

HTH

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 15:15:46 pm »
I have The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins, which was recommended by the lactation consultant who did the BF class that I took.  The last time I was in the bookstore, I saw she just came ou with a new edition - the 5th one I think.  I liked it because it had all the information in one spot - she divides it by ages - I think it goes the first 2 weeks, 2 weeks - 8 weeks, the first six months, and then past that - I'm not positive on that.  Anyway, every section has an overview on what to expect and a "troubleshooting" guide.  She also has a couple of appendices on calorie requirements, pumps, and a good one on drug reference - what's safe to take when your BFing. 

That being said, you can probably find most of this information online but I found it easy to have it all in one place.  I've also heard good things about LLL's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 19:50:49 pm »
I love Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding. It has super great trouble-shooting sections and tons of pictures of proper latches and nursing positions. I've loaned it several times, it's actually not here right now. You can find that stuff online, but who has time to surf the web during the first few weeks when you want an answer quick? I'm sure it has great resale on eBay too.

I also love my Womenly Art by LLL. I personally have enjoyed so many breastfeeding books because to hear so many different people right about and share their opinions on how to nurse and why to nurse is interesting to *me*. So much reading is confusing (not recommended at the newborn level, lol) but it really helped me form my own opinions and theories, and I was much more confident in what I was doing with Max instead of trying to do what any book told me.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 22:03:20 pm »
I second Stacy on Jack Newman's "The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers". Hmmm, Stacy, is this the same book you are talking about???
This one here I loved and I think is one of the best I have read.

TO be honest, I used brochures I received at the the hospital, when I had issues with breastfeding. Interestingly, they offered me just enough information to answer my questions.

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 22:13:52 pm »
the ones above are all great - very helpful - check your librarry and see if you can get some there and see what you think before you buy them......

Another great one - totally humerous and relaxing, but somewhat informatative too is "So, THAT's what they're for" - I borrowed it from our LLL group books. I really enjoyed it.
Just a light hearted look at breastfeeding -

Good Luck!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 22:26:55 pm »
Now that I think of it, one of the most helpful pieces of reading that I own is the breastfeeding guide that came with my Medela Pump in Style (in addition to the previously mentioned books).

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 01:51:48 am »
Yep Monica, that is the right title! Thanks!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline joslil

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 03:38:24 am »
There is a fairly dated book called "Nursing Your Baby" (almost positive that is the title - loaned mine out and never got it back).  I think from about 1960.  It is excellent - tells you when all the growth spurts happen - everything closely to the week it should happen.  This is the only one I have ever found that followed my kids closely.
S - mom to...
pink - 09/15/2001
pink - 08/31/2003
blue - 07/21/2005

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 21:17:56 pm »
The only book I had was "So That's What They're For!" by Janet Tamaro, and it had good info and was humorous.  I'll probably get another book as this is a pretty slim volume and doesn't answer all your questions, but it does get the bulk of them.

I think having a book is worthwhile; it's really nice to be able to go back and refer to it when you have a little question.  I didn't take a class and still wasn't really doing a great job at nursing when I came home from the hospital, but I was able to get dd latch much better after trying a different nursing position I found in my book.  So I'd say get yourself a good guide.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 00:58:12 am »
I loved and still love Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding (that was the title of his book that I have... :? ) - but probably anything from him would be great.  I brought it to the hospital, actually.  Way easier than stuff online and great to read ahead of time.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha