Author Topic: Wake to sleep for early evening wakings??  (Read 1150 times)

Offline gwc1023

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Wake to sleep for early evening wakings??
« on: December 21, 2005, 10:49:37 am »
My lo is 5 months and although she's doing pretty good most nights overnight - usually up to feed once - she has a lot of trouble in the early evenings.  Some nights it may be related to being overtired as we're having some more trouble with naps, but even days she's slept well and I know she's rested, she is up around 1-2 hrs after I put her to bed.  Sometimes she will resettle after a while, but often I try to resettle her for quite a while and end up feeding her.

Would it work to try getting her for a 'dreamfeed' about an hour or so after she's gone to bed to try to preempt the waking?  I don't want to train her to wake to eat at that time, but I thought maybe it might work to get her out of the habit of waking when she does.

We're going to be with family after Christmas and I"d really love to have my evenings to visit rather than having to go to her so much.
Dawn mommy to Gavin (5/2/02), Abby (7/8/05), and Rachel (5/28/07)

Offline ambersmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 13:19:25 pm »
When we had similar problems to you, at about same age too, we tried sh/pat if she woke and going to bed earlier as she was overtired.

This worked but the next thing I'd have tried would have been wake to sleep, but not with a feed  because as you pointed out it could create a habit of feeding at that time.

How long has this been going on? Our difficulty lasted about 3 weeks. hope it is short lived for you too.
HTH

Offline gwc1023

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 16:07:19 pm »
It's been going on for quite a while, about a month probably, although we were away on a trip for two weeks, so those wakings I kind of attributed to being away, etc.  We generally have done shh/pat to resettle her, but it takes a long time, and then she's often up again in 20-30 minutes.

So if I did wake to sleep, how do I do it?  Pick her up and wake her up and then just put her back down or what?  I was just thinking of it as feeding her earlier than she was waking to eat anyway, but you're right, I don't want to reinforce that kind of habit.

Also - I read somewhere that after 4 months you shouldn't be doing cluster feeding as it can make them into snackers.  Is this maybe what's happening as I still try to cluster feed in the evenings - she's waking again shortly after going to bed for another 'snack'?
Dawn mommy to Gavin (5/2/02), Abby (7/8/05), and Rachel (5/28/07)