Author Topic: not hungry after 3 hours. (help)  (Read 1272 times)

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 24, 2005, 23:47:26 pm »
Hi my dd is now 13+5 weeks and just lately is refusing to feed at the thre hour mark. I have on occasion left her and she feeds a little better at the breast around the 4 hour mark. My issue is if I try to encourage her to feed when not hungry she pulls at my nipples and pushes away. I am desparate to get her to feed on a 3hr cycle, but not happy. at night I put her down around 7pm and dh gives her a bottle around 10-11pm and she goes through till 3-4am and wakes again at 7am.
The day looks like this:
E:7am
A:
S: 8.50-10.30

E: 11am
A:
S: 12.30pm-2pm

E:3pm
A:
S:4.30pm- 5.30pm

E: 6.30pm
A: Bath time
S: 7.pm

DF: 10-11pm

Night waking: 3am or 4am. Usually feed as wont go back to sleep.

E:7am

So generally has 4 feeds over the day. Any suggestions
dianne

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
not hungry after 3 hours. (help)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 03:32:18 am »
What is her weight gain like? Are you single or double side feeding?

6 feeds per day is ok at this age. Some babies just won't do them all during the day.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 23:11:03 pm »
Her weight gain is fine. She now weighs in around the 6kg. (13.3.5lb) ( really tubby). Christmas eve she had her df at 10pm and went through till 4.30am and I bf her and she had to be woken christmas day at 7.45am. I fed her at 8am. I have tried to squeeze in more feeds by breaking up the feed, oftering the other side, burping her etc, so I suppose because of my desparation today AND the fact it is christmas I have tried to feed her more. The only thing is I am afraid that this is ME demanding her to feed and turns her into a snacker. (If she cluster feeds it is usually end of day when tired and I dont want that association).
Tonight dh df fed her at 10pm and she took the whole 4oz, so hopefully go longer.
another question is:
dh is on hols at the mo and I need a brake from waking at 3-4am as I need to handle my two year old in the day too. Is it ok for him to feed felicity a bottle in the night or will this compromise my milk supply. I am sure it is ok as I often have over supply, but dhwants mind put to rest.
dianne

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
not hungry after 3 hours. (help)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:26:56 am »
So, if I'm understanding right, your concern is the one nightwaking?

It would be fine to offer the bottle in the middle of the night, but your best bet is to pump between feeds sometime in the day for that bottle. That way your body still thinks "6 feeds" because even my oversupply turned into not enough. Nice to have a break if your dh will do it for a few nights.

My ds woke once a night to eat for quite a long time. It helped to lay down or nap when I could get them both to nap at the same time during the day (usually could get 30-45 min at that age) Also, some nights I would go to bed early, around 9pm. That way I got 7 hrs sleep prior to the nightwaking and 2 or so after it. Plenty of sleep!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies