Author Topic: Waking every 30minutes - HELP!!  (Read 1007 times)

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Waking every 30minutes - HELP!!
« on: December 26, 2005, 21:44:05 pm »
My DS is 8months old (corrected age 6months) - up to about 3 weeks ago he was sleeping from 7.30pm to 3.00am - fed - then went back down without a peep until 6.30am - he now wakes every 30minutes - up to 10 times a night.!!!!  Developmently i know hes changing right now, hes obsessed with rolling over and unless i put my hand on him to stop him at nap times and bedtime he will just roll over and cry to be rolled back again - so now i have a chair by his cot - i rest my hand on him until hes drifting off sometimes i need to shh him too then leave so he does the last bit on his own - but obviously im doing something wrong and have got into some accidental parenting.

The way i used to get him to sleep pre the rolling over stage was either a)hed go to sleep himself, rare but he did used to do it or b) id do shh/patt.  But now it seems im doing something wrong as he cant re-settle himself anymore.  Sometimes he rolls over during these 10 time a night wakings and i roll him back - he falls straight back to sleep.  Other times hes just crying but i cant work out why!!  I go in - shh/patt for 5-10mins then leave and this is how the whole night goes!  What am i doing wrong??  Hes cut his bottom two teeth now, he isnt unwell, isnt hot or cold - what is it???  Any advice would be vvvvvvvv welcome!
Many thanks
Hannah
Hana.xx

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 20:15:06 pm »
I'm not sure how to help, as I think it is developmental & you have to try & work out how to "teach" him to fall asleep in a "new position" It may be that you are offering "too much help"... try to just assist, then leave if he is calm, even if you have to go back 10 or more times, I found that is what I have had to do with my ds#2 as he is a great mover.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 09:27:04 am »
thanks for your reply - i dont know what else to do now im at my wits end with this -  hes now waking up every two hours because of rolling over and gets into such a state i cant calm him unless i feed him - he now feeds 2 or 3 times a night but the confusing thing is he takes a full bottle each time???!!!?  hes on 3 meals a day aswell as 4 bottles so i dont understand this - could it be a growth spurt?  hes never been a hungry baby.
IM SO TIERD!!!  :cry:
Hana.xx

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 22:39:00 pm »
With his corrected age it sounds like it might be a growth spurt... try offering more in the day. If you can fit an extra bottle in at some stage I would try that, if he is taking full feeds at night, he will need to pick the calories up in the day, so try offering one as soon as he wakes up, then breakfast & then about 1/2 hour before his nap offer another one.

With the rolling etc, I find I am having to do a long wind down & make sure my ds#2 is really relaxed & calm when I put him down for naps/bed, then I sometimes have to go back & repeat a few times, but the more relaxed he is the more likely he is to find his "own comfortable" sleep position, which now is sometimes on his belly... I think I have been doing this for about 3 weeks & think I will probably need to keep doing it until he gets to full on crawling... then again with standing & walking, if ds#1 is anything to go by, the next 6months are hard work with sleep.

You aren't alone, but I know that doesn't make it any easier
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05