Author Topic: sleep positioner/wedge might be a problem  (Read 919 times)

Offline gmmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
sleep positioner/wedge might be a problem
« on: December 27, 2005, 05:07:10 am »
Hi!  I'm new and so grateful for this site.  It's nice to know that I'm not the only one experiencing a lot of these issues.  Any way, my soon to be five month old started rolling on to her tummy while napping and at night.  She would of course wake up crying because she obviously was in a position she did not like.  We were using a wedge up until a month ago  - she was making her way out of it somehow and I didn't know if I should start using it again because of the rolling. I called the dr. and a nurse said that I am to use the wedge and/or flip her over if she does fall asleep on her tummy.  Two days later I was at the dr.'s because she has a cold and restated my concern  (unfortunately I go to a dr.'s office with seven different dr.'s and only see her dr. on well visits).  The dr. I spoke to said to not use the wedge and let her learn by rolling on her tummy.  Well, because of her cold, I am using the wedge because I am scared she won't breathe effectively if she rolls on to her tummy.  For the last four nights she has been getting up two or three times (she had been sleeping 10-12 hours at night).  I know her cold is bothering her, so I nurse her back to sleep.  However, is she waking because of her cold? Does she now find comfort in getting the breast two or three times throughout the night?  Could the wedge be the problem because she is not used to it and needs to move freely?  Or is she requiring more calories becasue she's getting older and needs to be fed throughout the night?  I don't know what to do.  I didn't use the wedge tonight and I'm constantly checking on her. If she still wakes up, I'm sure I'll feed her, but am I starting a bad habit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks! 
Michelle

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

sleep positioner/wedge might be a problem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 07:08:53 am »
I used to use a positioning wedge for both my kids, but when they both started to move around more I got rid of it (3mths for my ds and about 5mths for my dd) - there really isn't much point when they want to kick backwards out of it in my opinion.  As far as then wanting to sleep on tummy - well I think that's a decision you can only make yourself - my two only figured out that they could sleep on their tummys at around 7-8mths and I let them do what's comfy for them (even though my dd hasn't figured out how to roll back again) she's happy on her tummy.  Both learnt how to roll at 5mths, so I think that's a natural transition. 

As far as waking a lot in the night, I think I'll let someone else try and answer that (my 9mth old still often feeds once in the night and I have always fed at wakings instead of doing pu/pd which is the bw method - but then she's only ever woken once a night and not multiple times which to me does sound like something else is going on - if it is a growth spurt, you could either offer an extra breastfeed during the day or perhaps it's time for solids to be introduced.  Either way, I think I'd be inclined to wait out the cold before trying any sort of sleep training, crying while trying to settle her will produce extra mucous and also make her thirsty at some point.