Author Topic: I am new, and need HELP:) Sorry Long  (Read 1181 times)

Offline wishing

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 27, 2005, 19:38:18 pm »
Hi all

I had my first baby, Ava four months ago. I am exclusivly breastfeeding.
I think we may have gotten into some very bad habits, and I need help!

Ava almost NEVER naps well during the day, I feel like it is my fault as I never set up at nap routine. I just let her doze when she was tired. She generally can stay awake for about 2 hours now and then needs to nap. She almost ALWAYS needs to be nursed to sleep for naps.. although will occasionaly nap in her swing. But she will only nap for about 20 ins and she wakes up crying. She basically repeats this all day, and has her last nap at around 6 30 pm.. bed at 8 30.

Nighttime sleep, we have a routine of breast, bath, bottle ( EBM), rock, bed. She does start off in her cradle for the first part of the night, but when she wakes for her first feed at around 3 am she sleeps with us the rest of the night. I can NEVR out her in her crib awake, and she does NOT know how to self sooth.. its ALWAYS breast that calms her down.

How do I get her to nap better??? how do I get started on getting her to sleep in her own bed? I am not interested in CIO.  She has started to try to suck her thumb.. not quite getting it consistently yet. My poor baby has bags under her eyes:(

Thanks in advance

Karin
Ava
Aug 27, 2005 7 38 pm
6 lbs 10 oz

Offline beamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
  • San Jose, California, USA
I am new, and need HELP:) Sorry Long
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 19:59:26 pm »
Hi Karin and welcome!
I also have a 4 month old girl!
I would start by looking at Tracy's sleep interview--it should be a sticky or announcement at the top of the sleep page. It is long but very very helpful. With my 2nd it really helped me a lot as she was a bit touchy. With her we ended up doing pat and shush and it worked pretty well. At your dd's age you could also do pick up/put down. It will take some time but your dd is still young enough that you can make some changes.

I think the routine part of EASY is really important so I would really work on that. Keep things really consistent.

For naps, think about where you want her to nap. My dd sleeps best in her bed, but she will also sleep in her carseat, which is good because I am on the go a lot with my other 2!  When I am putting my dd to bed, I always sing rock a bye baby and I do think it helps her to settle down and get ready. Other than that I don't do much just talk to her and lay her down.

As for not nursing to sleep, one thing to do is put her down when she's drowsy and not fully asleep and then slowly put her down more and more awake.

I have to run now, but definitely check out the sleep interview and good luck!
Bea
la mamá de Joseph, María y Monica

Offline MelissaS

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
sleeping
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 13:57:25 pm »
Hi,

I completely understand how confusing it can all be with your first!!!!I am still learning every day - hugely trial and error. I hope this helps and does not sound silly.

I BF my bub to sleep some times (he is now 10mths) but it is not required all the time. When he was younger though up until about 6 months I used to BF all the time to sleep for night time and naps. ( I realise this is completely the other way around for EASY but found it worked most of the time )

When I first had bub at night time when I BF him - I used to rock him and hold him until I thought he was asleep (sometimes this could be up to half an hour after he was BF) as I thought this was the only way to get him to sleep - as I said I was very new to everything.

My husband suggested the minute he had finished BF - put him immediately into his crib - no if's or buts. I tried this and could not believe he would immediately fall to sleep (may be one or two squeaks). I did this regularly from about 2-5mths - then they develop other fun habits like rolling/standing etc.

It may be obvious, but you never know.

Please let me know how you go anyway,
Thanks,
Melissa
(Mum to David 20/02/2005 - mostly spirited/textbook)

Offline wishing

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 16:51:30 pm »
OK, so I tried to put her in her crib at the 1.5 hr mark, and she ddint cry.. instead she just stayed awake for 40 mins and missed her am nap entirely! She just spent the time cooing at the ceiling:( When I did finally go in, she looked exhausted, and whne I picked her up, she dozed off.. tried putting her back in and woke up.. no crying, but didnt go to sleep.

what do I do?? I cant let her have no am nap!
Ava
Aug 27, 2005 7 38 pm
6 lbs 10 oz

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 18:35:01 pm »
Hi,

I think you shpuld seriously consider EASY. Does Ava have any routine at all (even if its AESY) ?? What is your typical day like??? It will help us help you.

Sara
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.

Offline beamama

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • San Jose, California, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 16:02:41 pm »
karin, have you tried a pacifier or helping her suck her thumb? I know it's a huge help for my dd when she sucks her thumb.
One thing that I found helpful in BW is STOP--that you don't rush in when they cry but take a minute to analyze why they are crying. Sometimes Monica needs to fuss for a minute (I'm not advocating CIO here, just letting them settle themselves) and if I let her be she'll get back to sleep.
just a thought!
Definitely read the sleep interview!
Bea
la mamá de Joseph, María y Monica

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 18:08:55 pm »
Just wanted to send some encouragement your way...we've all been at that stage! I think almost all babies go through the stage at the beginning of nap training where they will be dozing off in your arms, and the moment you put them down, their eyes pop open, and it seems like they never go to sleep!

This is a normal beginning that will end as soon as consistancy comes into play. You're also starting nap training during a time when she's going through a developmental phase where nap times are going out the window. You're in the middle of day sleep development, and even for the most sleep trained child, this can be a rough time. Usually you see moms reporting that before this, their lo has been a great napper, and now they're taking 30-40 min naps, or not taking them at all. It usually ends in 3-4 weeks. Until it's over, you're going to have more bad nap days than good ones unfortunately. But it does end.

Until then, it sounds like you have a great bedtime routine. Start a short routine for naptimes...maybe some floor play, then a little rocking and singing or a sleepy time CD, whatever works for you, then start putting her down sleepy but awake, start the shh/pat and PU/PD. Slowly wean off the breast by offering less and less every few days, until it's eliminated from your wind down routine. Be aware that your success may be a little delayed because of the development period your lo is going through. Whatever you do, stick with it. Honestly, the more consistant you are in what you do, the faster they learn because they know what happens next. Wake time at this point is around 1.5 hours, starting to push toward 2 hours (but not too fast...stick to around 1.5 hours at this point). Watch for those sleepy signs, and keep an eye on the time. If it's only been an hour and 15 mins, and she's yawning, rubbing her eyes, getting fussy, etc. The window for sleep is probably open, get her to bed.

This is not going to be an easy period for you, but fortunately, there are a lot of ladies here that have gone through the same thing!! So, we can be your support. These ladies have some great advice, and we're here to help the best we can. Keep your chin up, and trust your instinct.

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 23:07:30 pm »
Karin,

All I can do, too, is offer words of encouragement. Up until last week, I would never have thought that I could wean my DS off AES. He was also up all hours of the night and napped incredibly poorly, if at all. First things were that we had an ear infection diagnosed and got him on some antibiotics. Apart from that, here's what worked for us:

1. Having a consistent place for him to sleep in and wake in (no more falling asleep on Mum so that she could soothe him through the 45 minute hump)
2. Having a routine pre-nap and pre-bedtime.

I got these two under my belt, without worrying about the nursing to sleep.

Secondly, DS, too, discovered his thumb. WHAT A BLESSING. I encouraged it at every opportunity and woke stunned in the middle of the night one night to hear him slurping away. Night wakings, which used to be nursed back to sleep, have dropped from maybe 5 or 6 to 2.

I've also followed Weissbluth's advice of bringing DS' bedtime forward. Even though he's only 3.5 months, he's routined at 6pm and asleep by 6.30pm most nights. True, he wakes between 6am and 6.30am, but he did this regardless of what time he went to sleep before, and what time he ate during the night.

DS has had a cold (along with me) the past few days, but two nights ago he slept from 6.15pm till 2.30am, ate, then slept till 6.30am. Last night was out of the ordinary -- he went down for a nap at 3.45pm, slept till 2.30am, ate, then slept till 6am. (I'm not advocating this; I just didn't have the heart to wake my sniffly LO). Anyway, these could well be influenced by him being sick, and not the cold.

My other major success is that once I realized the thumb-sucking was self-soothing, I began to think of ways to encourage that instead of suckling to sleep. One day I missed his tired cues, and by the time we reached the room, I was walking him around and pat/sshing to calm him. He'd worked his way out of his swaddle, so I lay him down on the bed to reswaddle him. Because he was so tired and worked up, he immediately found his thumb, started sucking, and dozed off. I was flabbergasted. My boob was just sitting there, feeling all abandoned.

The next nap I left my shirt done up, again walked him around the room a little, laid him down on the pretext of reswaddling him, even though it was perfectly fine, and helped him find his thumb. Bingo.

We've now had two full days of nap and bedtimes where he hasn't nursed to sleep. Considering that he's taking five 45 minute naps a day, this is a major achievement! It could be a phase; it could be related to the cold. But knowing the strength of his habit prior to this development, I can only hope that this is a major behavioural change.

The only other thing I would say is that I also noticed an element of dissatisfaction on his part with nursing to sleep prior to the thumb preference. On occasion he would pop off, and look up at me wide-eyed as if to say "what now?" I think perhaps that some babies are ready to transition away from nursing to sleep, and thank goodness that my DS has taken the change so readily. I was petrified of training him out of it.

Now that I've been able to insert an "A" into the "AES," we're working on bringing the feeding out of the bedroom and completely disassociating it with sleep. Matters are complicated by his being sick (I want to make sure he's hydrated and getting my antibodies), plus his current inability to stay awake longer than 1.5 hours before the dreaded 45 minute nap. It works out that he's getting fed roughly every 2-2.5 hours during the day (about 6 times) and maybe twice at night.

But "baby" steps. AES to EAS has been a major achievement. If it continues, then I'll figure out my EASY routine and how to stretch it out. But needless to say, the fact that I'm able to type such a long post is indicative of the glorious "Y" time I'm finally able to get!

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!

Katriona
DS Theron Michael 09.12.05
Textbook with a little bit of Touchy (we think!)