Author Topic: 10 week old not going down easy anymore  (Read 1961 times)

Offline lkc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 29, 2005, 05:23:22 am »
I need help!!  As we speak my 10 week old daughter is crying and won't go to sleep.  My husband and I have been trying to put her down for 2 hours now.  This is the first time she has done this.  The last few weeks have been getting gradually worse and now this.  Tried to pat/shh her and that is not working at this point.  What to do?  Thank you in advance.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
10 week old not going down easy anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 08:31:17 am »
can you post what her day was like in the lead up to the sleep refusal/difficulties 2 weeks ago. and what is her day like now?
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline lkc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 17:01:43 pm »
Well we survived the night.  Little Mattea fussed and cried her heart out for about two hours and then I decided to "dreamfeed" her at around 11:30 p.m. or so.  Then she actually put herself to sleep with a little grunting.  She has also started to put her hands in her mouth all the time with a lot of drooling so I had swaddled her with one hand out to allow her to soothe herself that way.  She woke up about three hours later for a feed then woke again two hours later with gas.  She started to show signs of hunger so I BF again and she went back to sleep until 8 a.m., which was three hours later. 

Thank you for your response and concern.  Here is a little history:

Mattea is actually 9 weeks, I miscalculated.  (Seems like everyday is the same and I don't know which day is which anymore.)  We have not been on a "schedule" but more of a routine.  I read the book when I was pregnant and referred back to it constantly in the first few weeks but never really put Mattea on EASY.  I wanted to but never really knew what to do since it is my first time around.  Now I am a little more ready and know what to expect a little more so I have started EASY yesterday.

She basically needs the breast to sleep, most of the time.  She is an Angel, Textbook baby andwill put herself to sleep sometimes.  It is just difficult to lay her down after holding her for a little while.  Then I would like to help her really start sleeping through the night.  Right now she is inconsistent, five hours here, two there, etc... 

I am new to the site and am confused about some things.  What is DD, DH, and some of the other abbrieviations in the posts?  I can infer what they stand for but am unsure. 

I apologize for the length of my post.  As many new moms, I have so many questions.  Thank you for helping out.  I appreciate any feedback. 

By the way, I have put Mattea down for a nap right before this post and she went down in twenty minutes.  I had to soothe her again after a few minutes but she is still sleeping--so far.  Thanks again.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 18:09:24 pm »
When I read your post, I immediately wondered if she was hungry as my DD (dear/darling daughter) did this last week.  She was 8.5 WO (weeks old).  It sounds like you made it through, but she may need to eat many times over the next few days.  We're bottle feeding, so it's easy for us to up the feeds, but I understand breastfeeding might take a couple of days.

Do you have a winddown routine for naps and bedtime?  If not, I think it would really help Mattea if you started one for her.  It will probably take 2-3 days for her to learn that swaddling, white noise, paci, lullaby, or whatever you do means that it's time to go to sleep, but she'll get it. 

Post a typical day (like any day is typical!) and if you have more questions, I'm sure the wonderful moms on the boards will have plenty of advice. 

Are you struggling with short naps - usually 45 minutes?  A lot of us with LO (little ones) around Mattea's age are struggling with them.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 18:12:32 pm »
One more thought.  My DD (now almost 10WO) still has one overnight feed.  Once we got through the growth spurt las week, she'll now eat around 7-8pm and then sleep through until around 4am.  Again, we're bottle feeding, so I don't really know about breastfeeding, but I think babies generally wake/eat more frequently.  Other BF moms will be able to give you better guideance.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline lkc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 20:50:11 pm »
Thank you for the response.  I also posted a reply on another one you responded to -- Starting EASY with 9 wk. old. 

I do have a sleeptime ritual but she is having trouble with being put down in the bassinet.  Any suggestions to try?  We have swaddled since birth, shh for a month, and pat her back.  Then when she is in the bassinet, I don't know where to pat.  I have started to rub her chest and it worked once so far.  She just keeps crying.  I feel terrible and its exhausting. 

The schedule that I am trying to implement is

E 8:00 BF
A PLAYTIME IN BED / LIVING ROOM
S 9:00 NAP

E 11:00 BF
A PLAY IN LIVING ROOM /WITH DAD WHEN HOME FOR LUNCH
S 12:00 NAP

and so on for feeds every 3 hours...less if showing signs of hunger.  We have been putting her to bed around 8:30 or 9:00 after a bath but I would like to put her down earlier around 7:30 or 8:00. 

If anyone has any thoughts for putting her down and how to help her cope with that and how I can cope for that matter.

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 21:46:00 pm »
Does Mattea spend any time in her bassinet when she's not sleeping?  A very wise BW (Baby Whisp) mom suggested this to help Katie feel comfortable in her crib while she's awake and I've been trying to do this.  It's only been a couple of days and we only get a few minutes each day.  But, Katie has put herself back to sleep 3 times.  Don't know if it's related, but you might want to try that.

Katie sleeps flat on her back and when I need to pat her, I pat on her shoulder.  Well, maybe it's more like her armpit area.  She hates tummytime and will scream if I even lay her on her side - she thinks she has to roll over.

Offline lkc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 22:00:11 pm »
No, Mattea does not spend any time in her bassinet when she is not sleeping.  I will try that--thanks.

Offline lkc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 23:03:47 pm »
Actually, I must note that Mattea does grunt and gurgle in the bassinet when waking before I get her.  Sometimes this may last an hour or so and most of the time she puts herself back to sleep.