Author Topic: Taking a long time to feed-HELP  (Read 1391 times)

Offline little mans mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Taking a long time to feed-HELP
« on: December 29, 2005, 14:01:16 pm »
You will have to excuse me im new to this and not sure if i completed this cotrrectly, My son Lucas is 15weeks and weighs 10lb 9oz (was born 3lb 14oz), he takes about an hour to an hour and a half on each each feed of between 4-6oz (average usually 5oz) which is about an average of 19-22oz per day over 4 bottles. He goes about 4hrs between and sleeps from about 9.30pm to 8am (which we sometimes have to wake him for his morning feed) i have asked the HV and she just says well hes putting on weight so thats ok. Its driving us up the wall with how long it takes  , sometimes he cries but other time he talks away with only having 2oz of his bottle. Keep thinking that if we were the kind of people to leave him he would loose weight and the HV would be then concerned. Does any body have an suggestions?? Or is this normal?
Lucas born 16 September 2005

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 16:07:20 pm »
Hi!
Sounds like he's doing good weight wise like you had mentioned.  Zoe was a SLOW eater for a long time too and it is frustrating.  Have you tried a different or faster sized nipple?  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 20:05:37 pm »
What is his corrected age? I mean was he premature? If yes, he may take a little longer than other babies to feed in 30 or 40 minutes (which is what mine does). In his first month of life It took me 2 hours to get him fed and his nappy changed (also because he spent so much time in intensice care...). It gets better though but don't rush him and don't give him a too big hole in his teat, use silicon though, latex somehow gets smaller and smaller very quickly so he may have a hard time sucking.

Until then... I would enjoy it... feeding is the nicest experience in a wee babies life and they enjoy it soo much that it would be a pity to rush him and take that lovely feeling away from him...

Offline little mans mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 22:21:16 pm »
We have the Avent bottles and have tried the teats with 2,3 and 4 holes in, the 2 hole teat seams to make him more sleepy and the 4 hole seams too fast, and at the mo we are using the 3 hole. I have also tried the vari flow but he wouldnt have them at all and ended up having to change the teat mid feed. Its good to know that we are not the only ones in the same boat, im not getting much off the health visitor on this apart from the teat change and bongela incase he is teathing which we have tried. We had lots of scans and monitoring because they said he wasnt the correct size for dates so i was induced just under a week early because of this. They think it was the placenta. We are constantly worried cause of this and wonder if hes doing what he 'should be' they dont tell you when you should be worried just they will keep an eye on him. Hes only just started to hold his head now, still a bit floppy but much better. Ive never been so worried in all my life and im quiet a laid back person. Kids eh.

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 03:20:07 am »
Yep, it sounds like he just might be a slow eater.  Have you tried different nipples besides the Avent?  I know a friend of mine, their dd wouldn't take the Avent ones at all, once they switched she ate a lot better.  Just a thought  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 07:31:13 am »
I would go for NUK air system. Works great! You can get them at ASDA...

Offline little mans mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 08:51:39 am »
thanx for that may give it a try :D