Author Topic: 5 mth old drinking fewer ounces and now waking hungry mid-nt  (Read 1184 times)

Offline jneuvirth

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 mth old drinking fewer ounces and now waking hungry mid-nt
« on: January 02, 2006, 03:45:24 am »
Please help.  My 5 month old started sleeping thru night at 12 weeks.  She never was a huge eater, but by 4 mths she was taking 25-29 oz/day (at 5 feedings) and sleeping through the night.  For the last 3 weeks she has been difficult to feed, only takes between 19-22 calories per day, which includes the 2 oz. that I give her when she now wakes in the middle of the night.  She is now waking every night (not at the same time) starving, and so I feed her but limit this feed to only 2 oz.  I want her to get the calories she needs during the day and to return to sleeping through the night.  I have tried to introduce some cereal the last few mornings but she doesn't seem ready yet.  She is on 4 hour EASY, naps well, has a great disposition, and appears hungry at feeding time.  Then she freaks out when the bottle starts.  I believe she is teething.  I am getting frustrated and although she seems to be growing fine (at least length-wise, based on her clothing!), she is losing those cute fat rolls since she is now eating 2/3 of what she used to it.  PLEASE HELP.

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 15:35:56 pm »
Im certainly no expert but when William started waking in the night hungry I was advised to start to give him some baby cereal during the day - at first he had baby rice but he has baby porridge now as he prefers it. After a week of him having one meal of cereal a day and his usual milk he started to sleep through again.
He's now on 4 bottles a day of about 7oz in each and has just started having 2 meals a day - a lunch time cereal and a tea time veggie meal.

Helen xx

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 17:08:18 pm »
Hi  :D

I can see why you might be a little worried.  Especially if she's starting to lose her little fat rolls  :(

My dd refused the bottle for a day during teething and decreased her ounces, and went through phases where they don't take as much, but they didn't wake for the calories in the night..??

Have you tried using a faster nipple?  If it's too slow, she might be frustrated/bored with it? 

As far as solids go, I would continue to try them every couple of days or so, it takes a little while to get used to sometimes.

And if it doesn't seem any better in the next couple of days, I would ask your pediatrician....keep us posted.
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom