Author Topic: how to wean 9 mos twins of 5 am feed...it's the last one!!  (Read 1255 times)

Offline jrcygan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how to wean 9 mos twins of 5 am feed...it's the last one!!
« on: January 02, 2006, 23:46:05 pm »
My twins are 9 mos and they habitually wake up  between 4 and 5 am for a feed.  I'm looking for ideas on how to stop this last feed.  I've tried to give them their pacifiers but they refuse and cry.  Otherwise they are sleeping really well.  Help!!  :?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 15:02:48 pm »
If it's their last feed, what are they doing for the other ones?  If they're taking bottles, could you try giving them a bottle at this time and then gradually decreasing the amount of formula in their bottles?  Also, since it seems to be a habitual waking problem, maybe you could try wake to sleep?  I know there's some info about it somewhere on the sleep boards.

Edited to add: Just wanted to say that from your post, it sounded like you wanted to give up BFing entirely (as in this early nursing was the last nursing they had) - obviously if you're still BFing for the other feeds, you shouldn't give them formula.  You could try decreasing the amount of time you spend BFing as well instead of number of ounces in a bottle.

annamum

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 22:51:34 pm »
I am not good at it :? . Have you tried sleep forums yet?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 23:28:54 pm »
Early wakeups 4/6am feeds are really hard... I had that with ds#1 & all we could do was literally start the day then for about 5 days & then he eventually whinged/talked through that time - most of the time (still had to get up for him sometimes) ... it actually took nearly 12 months to have "silence" in our house from his sleep between 4 & 6am & the trade off was he pretty much started his day at 6am.

That 4/5am point is a very light sleep phase before the last "deep one" of the night & really is a hard one to get past.

Try cutting back the feed to as short as possible to settle them & then when it gets really short stop feeding & try to get them back to sleep... I do think it will take maybe a week of not feeding before you see any improvement.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline jrcygan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 22:02:20 pm »
I am weaning from the breast since 8 months.  They are now supplemented with formula for the other feeds.   
I do have Tracy's book, so i will read up on wake to sleep, and check out the sleep forum.
Thanks everyone.
Always nice to hear some different opinions and advice.