Author Topic: How do I prepare....  (Read 2024 times)

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
How do I prepare....
« on: January 03, 2006, 11:49:23 am »
It would be a great help if you can tell me how do I prepare kiwi's, do I steam them at what age is it safe to give to babies, it's not citrus is it? :?
And what do they go well with?

Also how do I prepare sweet corn should it be on a cob first or frozen, or in a tin which is best and should it be steamed first?

And lastly can anyone give me some fruit and veggies that go well together and make great flavoured meals.  I have tried apples and pears DS loves them and also peas carrots and potatoes.  Pumpkin and babyrice.

Can't think of any others and don't want to mix up if its not going to taste good so any suggestions of tried and tested recipies would be welcome.

Thanks in advance. :)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 19:25:13 pm »
I don't know about kiwis, and I haven't given dd corn yet, though I do try to stay away from canned vegs in general as they usually have preservatives and added sodium.

We make lots of combinations. 

prunes and pears
prunes and apples
apples and sweet potatoes
potatoes and broccoli
butternut squash and zuchini
just about every vegetable and barley

Do you freeze your food in small cubes?  We do, so I prepare and freeze everything separately.  I create the combinations by mixing a cube of this and a cube of that.  That way, I can keep variety, and if any combination is truly dreadful, we not stuck with a bunch left in the freezer.

I'd also look in at the jarred food in the store for ideas.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
How do I prepare....
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:19:39 am »
Thanks for replying deborah, I do freeze the food in ice cube trays but sometimes I mix them prior. It's a good Idea to check out the labels of the ready made jars.  I usually try to give beakfast fruit and cereal and lunch veggies. I have never mixed fruit with veg.  By the way where or what brnd barley cereal do you give your LO, and how do you prepare prunes?

Thanks for sharing your ideas they've been helpfull.

If anyone else has any ideas for  combinations of fruit and vegies I'd love to here them.

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 13:47:17 pm »
We use Gerber brand baby barley.  It's just like the rice and oatmeal cereals.    Only Gerber and Beechnut are available around here, and the Beechnut had added sodium.  You can also make regular barley with extra water so it is really soft and puree that.  Dd just really likes her baby cereal, and I can't get her interested in real oatmeal/rice/barley.

I just simmer the prunes in water until they're super mushy and puree them with plenty of the prune water.  Dd is really prone to constipation, so they were her first fruit.

Applesauce and sweet potatoes went over really well.  She actually had it last night with chicken mixed in.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline dinah34134

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 15:46:18 pm »
i put foods together that you wouldn't think go well together.

andrew likes

prunes and carrots
prunes and sweet potatoes
avocado and banana
peas and pears

that kind of thing.  babies don't know that those foods don't go together.  i read somewhere that offering weird combinations gets them used to eating different kinds of foods and will hopefully make them less picky eaters.

Offline Libby's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How do I prepare....
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 01:01:06 am »
Travis' Mom - I was just passing through & saw your note on kiwis.

NOT FOR BABIES!!!

I know that they are a very dangerous allergen & should not be given to babies.  I don't know what age you can start them at, best to do a little more research first.  Sorry, I don't have more information, but I hope this is helpful (no strawberries either, eh?).

Ciao (or rather "chow" seems more appropriate here!  :lol: )
Libby's Mom