Author Topic: How to deal with 'broken routine'?  (Read 940 times)

Offline Lientje

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 03, 2006, 16:14:54 pm »
I'm trying to put my 8 weeks old son fully on EASY.  He had more or less a 3H routine from day one. :-)
His last feeding is around midnight and the next one around 5AM.

He had a groth spurt last week, which I handled incorrectly I learned today :-(  I fed during night, making sure there was at least 3h between all feedings. 
Then we had X-mas an new Year so his routine was broken, instead of 5AM he asks now to be fed around 3 à 4 AM.

I tried to give him a DF yesterdaynight (he didn't drink to much I could hardly awake him).  Around 4 AM he asked for a feeding and I brought him back to sleep without.
At 5.15 he woke up again, changed his diaper and fed.
Since then he eat every 3H.

So far so good.  But... all he want to do today is sleep sleep and sleep.
He wakes up to cry "overtired"   :shock:
Only 10 minutes after his 'meal' he falls asleep!  Will this affect his nightsleep?  I assume that since he slept a lot during the day he will be awake tonight?
What's the right way to handle?  Keeping a overtired baby awake surely isn't, is it?
I don't want him to switch day and night off course.

Offline Catzsz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
How to deal with 'broken routine'?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 23:18:37 pm »
I'm not quite sure what to suggest. You've done really well so far and hey...we've all been hit by that first growth spurt to complete meltdown..easily done.
I agree you cant keep an overtired baby awake, it makes it a bugger to get them back to slep again.
You could try and up his calorie intake during the day as much as you can in the meantime, keep nighttime subdued, dark, quiet and uninteresting, and in his wake time during the day obviously its party time, hopefuly his body clock will start kicking in once he gets over his growth spurt. Start with a new day, and try and keep his awake period as long as you think is reasonable, what i found helped was to buy that extra 10 mins or so just in dd's room where its quiet and calm, but that was all i could buy.
Keep as consistant as you have been, it'll come right gradually. He's still very little.
Keep up with the dream feed, i couldnt get dd to wake enough for hers when i discovered it (also 8weeks) and it took another week before we got ther, i had to sit her upright first tho to rouse her enough :oops:

Offline Lientje

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 16:19:16 pm »
OK we have sleepy days and difficult days.
This night I spent 1.5h to give him his pacifier every minute.  He was not hungry and not asking for food, he was just difficult.
And today also, tired after his meal, sleeping 10 minutes, awakes in pain, ...
I'm suspecting reflux or something like that.

As soon as I put him down he's crying, in my arms or car seat he's ok (tried for only 10 min).  The crib in the bedroom was a bit better (elevated) so I elevated the one in the living room too but stil :-(

E every 3 hours
A what's activity??? I want to sleep
S 10 minutes naps. sometimes he settles himself, sometimes not.
Y none