Author Topic: 3 month old only sleeps 4 hrs @ night  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Jacksmom77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
3 month old only sleeps 4 hrs @ night
« on: January 05, 2006, 16:14:23 pm »
HELP!!! I cannot get my son to stop waking up every hour after 2am.  He has a good 3 to 4 hour stretch of sleep from 7-8 on (he gets a nap around 5pm, which if I don't give him, he gets cranky) but then, after that he is up practically every hour.  I try everything including feeding him & changing him & then, not feeding & changing him and he just seems uncomfortable no matter what...what do I do??? I'm too tired to really logically think of an answer so hopefully someone can give me some guidance!
Thank you!!!
Brandi

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 16:33:46 pm »
No real advice, just a couple of questions that may help the group...what are his days like?  You mention one nap - are there others?  What is his eating schedule?

Could he have his days/nights switched?
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Jacksmom77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 18:00:19 pm »
He's really pretty good with naps...3 a day, each between 45 minutes to 2 hours. He has one after breakfast, lunch and dinner - stays awake for about 1 to 1.5 before getting tired...everything seems to be going like it should...until we get to 2 in the morning & he's up.  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. He's a pretty good eater too - I try to give him a good feeding around 10 or 11 - thanks for any help
Brandi

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 19:10:16 pm »
What's his total daytime sleep?  Does he wake rested or cranky?  What is your winddown routine?  When he wakes in the night, does it help to go through the winddown routine?  I'm at a loss here, maybe other moms can help!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Jacksmom77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 01:16:39 am »
He normally wakes up happy - but lately, really cranky...I know he must tired because he hasn't been sleeping well @ night, but I'm afraid if I let him catch up on sleep during the day, he'll get into the habit of sleeping more during the day then at night.  Ugh!  Actually, I would love suggestions on "windown" techniques/routines - THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help...I really do appreciate it!
Brandi

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:03:30 am »
Our winddown routine at that age was a bath, put on pj's in a dimly lit room, bottle while softly singing 2 songs and rocking in a chair, then off to sleep.
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline B1PZNT49

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 02:52:36 am »
i have a 12 week old dd as well...she has a bath at about 630 or 645...gets ready for bed etc..( also have a 3 year old so of course getting him ready as well, they bathe at same time)...then she has bottle and is in bed by 815..i dreamfeed her at about 11-1130 before i go to bed then she is up again about 4 or 430 am for another feed then up between 6 or 730 am ...naps from 930 to 1030 give or take a few...then again for two hours in afternoon than again around the supper hour for about 1/2 hour cat nap...perhaps try that as a guide and see if it helps..do you dreamfeed?

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 03:01:37 am »
Some other ideas that I use in DDs winddown are giving her the paci, turning on white noise, swaddle (although we're going to drop this, but maybe unzip, open diaper, refasten and re-zip the grobag), lotion or massage (depending on whether it's bath night).  Am thinking of trying to find a scented lotion - not too powerful - that she can associate with sleepytime.  Then rub it on my hands before naps and bedtime.  Then, she'll have a smell association too.

Good luck!

Offline smithfields

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 10:28:52 am »
Hi there,
I am having a similar prob with my bub.  He goes down at 7pm and used to sleep until 10 or 11 sometimes even 12am but now he will wake up at 7.40pm, refeed, then have a dreamfeed and then from 12am onwards he is awake every half hour to an hour.  Drs seem to think it's reflux (silent) but i'm not so sure and we are trying Zoton and now Zantac but no relief yet.   Hope you get some good answers to this post cos it's really driving me insane not sleeping at all now at night.
Sleep deprivation is a form of torture!!

Offline Jacksmom77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 20:20:28 pm »
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions -  I'm definitely going to try them & see what works for him!
Brandi