Author Topic: 11 week old and feeding for 5 - 10 minutes - 2 hour EASY! He  (Read 1732 times)

Offline emilyjane

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
11 week old and feeding for 5 - 10 minutes - 2 hour EASY! He
« on: January 07, 2006, 10:46:55 am »
Emily is feeding for 10 minutes if I am lucky but tends to be 5 minutes then she lifts her head and tries to sit up - telling me no more! I try again but she won't take it.
Awake for an hour then she is going down for an hour.
2 hour routine feels too quick.
We've only just started the daytime routine - night time is working fab.
I doing a log today to see how we go

Will post how we get on - prior to starting the routine she would often go for a 3 hour sleep during the day and the rest of the time was cat naps.

Here's hoping today we see a longer than 2 hour EASY
Theresa

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
Is she happy during the day?  Sounds like she's sleeping well at night.  A lot of bf babies have short cycles early on - they get more calories in during the day so they don't need to wake as much at night to eat.  If she's not seeming overtired as the day goes out, might be ok.  It also might be short-lived and she might start stretching out soon to a bit longer.  Short feeds of 5 min CAN happen at that age too - she might just be more efficient.  Are you doing both sides?  At that age, they also start becoming more interested in the world, so when the initial hunger is satisfied, they want to play.  :roll: I think that was when I started having to feed dd in a dark room right after a nap to get more food into her.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline emilyjane

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 22:46:25 pm »
Okay the morning continued with every 2 hours but then we had a 3 hour cycle prior to bedtime routine when DD fed for almost 20 minutes. The darkened room I definately have to do when we are out and use a nursing room, as she gets incredibly distracted.

I do feed from alternate sides, although if DD has only had 5 minutes I will try her back on that side before trying the fuller breast. I am conscious of her getting too much foremilk.

She tends to only get fussy prior to her bath, then calms and is ready for bed.

TOnight has gone well - I am just contemplating a dream feed. DD normally wakes spot on 10.30 to tell me she is hungry. Then through to 4.30/5.00, then to 6.30/7.00. 

Another log tomorrow. I also think next week will be easier as DH will be back at work.

Thank you for the hints/tips - I must update my profile to include details
Theresa

annamum

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 03:19:09 am »
Just wanted to add that my dd was happy to feed for 5 minutes total since she was 7 or 8 weeks old. I looked at the clock and it was always 5 minutes not more. She was usually able to go 2 to 2.5 hours but her nights were very bad, a lot of wakings. I think your dd is doing great, she basically wakes only once, if not count the 10:30 feed.

If she would feed better in a darkened room, you can also try giving her something to occupy her while she is at your breast, some moms have a toy reserved only for nursings or a special nursing necklace, it can be a necklace that you feel OK to let her play with.

Offline emilyjane

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 23:24:10 pm »
We are having a fab day - even managed to persuade DD with a 15 minute feed, by breaking it up with a nappy change. The log is helping me a lot to keep the EASY going.

Yet to try the fully darkened room, that's tomorrows trick if needed  :D

I am intrigued by the necklace idea, I did see mommynecklaces on another thread so I will have a peek at them too.
Theresa

Offline Cilla

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Proud mom of Ivey
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 05:51:03 am »
I think the feeding thing must be the age. Our babys are right about the same age, and Ivey did the same thing last week.  She would only eat 5 min and then be done. I would try to feed her on the other side and she was not having that! She was also doing the 2 hour thing. She would eat, stay up for almost an hour, sleep for an hour, and then wake up and eat again. It went on for almost a week. And she was doing great at night sleeping longer each night.  So far for the past few days though, she has been eating more and staying awake sometimes for longer than an hour. Sunday she actually only slept 4 hours during the day, she has never come close to that before.  We have been doing a df about 10:30 or 11 and then she wakes up at 3 or 4 then 6:30 or 7.  So, I am guessing it is what happens before they have a growth spurt, or their schedule changes.  That is the only thing I can figure.

Offline emilyjane

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:29:05 am »
Cilla

That does sound very similar to Emily. Yesterday she started to feed longer and slept for almost 4 hours in the day and still went down smoothly last night. I am wondering if it was some sort of growth spurt. It's comforting to know others are similar. TOday's log is printed ready to fill in - just awaiting my wee angel to wake.

Have a fabulous day  :D
Theresa

Offline ava's maman

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 19:28:30 pm »
Hi I just wrote my own post asking the same questions - I guess I should have read yours first!  My DD is 11.5 weeks old and I think just getting over her frenzy feeding growth spurt.  Now she is eating more frequently and only for a few minutes too.  There is no way to get her to eat more as she just wants to play around at the boob.

Offline Cilla

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Proud mom of Ivey
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 06:18:38 am »
emilyjane,
I talked to different people and they say that babies become more effencient in there eating and so they can get what they need faster. Ivey does good at night still and is usually eating every 2-3 hours during the day, but sometimes I wonder how she can go that long because it hardly seems that she is eating. But she seems fine, and according to her chubby cheeks is growing good. :D  So, I dont worry at all about it. She is content, so I am content. Have a great day.