Author Topic: crawling and not even 6 months!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Liz R

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
crawling and not even 6 months!
« on: January 07, 2006, 14:28:50 pm »
oh my, I think I'm headed for trouble! Jake is "army style" comando crawling and he is fast!  :shock:
My daughters were both nearly 7 months, and this has come as a huge shock, as they seemed to understand a firm "no" and of course he doesn't!
He is so determinded to get places and things he shouldn't, its making his "A" time a bit of a nightmare. I don't like playpens, but I think it may be my only option!
Anyone else had this? I'm interested to know if it's a "boy thing" and how to keep up!
Liz  :wink:

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel
Ellie   18/11/1997 Spirited
Jacob 09/07/2005 Spirited

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 01:39:42 am »
Wow, what a mover!  :D  All I can suggest is that you remove everything dangerous and things you don't want him to touch at this time.  Like you say, he's not going to understand that you don't want him touching stuff.  Then as you feel he's developing with his understanding, then you can start to bring out a few things that you don't mind being touched that you can start to teach him not to touch or let him play with.

Is there a certain area of the house you can barrier off so he's not enclosed and can still explore (sounds like he wants to be a mover rather than sit down and play type which may just make him frustrated if contained in a playpen).

HTH

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 17:57:25 pm »
I agree - set aside some space for him to be free, like his own room - just put a gate up! :) A playpen is going to severely limit not only his mobility (which may seem like a good option) but also his opportunity to develop his army crawl into hands-and-knees crawling - which is actually ESSENTIAL for brain development, and for good vision, as both kinds of crawling will give him lots of opportunity for his eyes to learn to focus, and the freedom to move around at least one room will help him learn to map out spaces. (Check out http://www.childbrain.org for a whole message board about this kind of stuff! :))

Natalie's been crawling around since Heaven knows when, on her hands and knees since about 5 months and now she's almost 8 months and CRUISING. :shock: Yeah, I had to do a LOT of childproofing, and it's a hassle keeping her out of Josie's stuff (and DH's and mine), but we know that if it's within her reach she'll get into it, so we give her some space that's hers alone or keep her in a room with us with toys for her to crawl to and play with, and I think that's why she's moving along so quickly. And at this rate, at a time when most kids are starting to pull up on stuff, she'll be walking and we can leave curtains hanging again! :) (we hope! LOL :lol:)

You're going to have to childproof to this degree at some point anyway - why not just do it now? Better all 'round. And enjoy your precocious little one!!!

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 21:21:36 pm »
Congradulations Jake!  here's wishing your mommy good luck in staying one step ahead of you!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 22:22:51 pm »
Wow :shock: great job Jake

Offline momtocheyenne&toby

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 23:05:45 pm »
Toby was crawling at 5 months cruising at 6 and walking at 7 months and now has the full blown run down at 12.  He rips my house down from room to room.  He fenagles his way through any "child proofing"...best I can do is to be out of the house as much as possible.  He absolutely HAS to have his space...can't stand to be pinned it....don't know what I would have done if I didn't have a large backyard.
Cheyenne Summer 6-18-02
Toby James 12-17-04

Offline Liz R

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:43:07 am »
thankyou one and all! I'm glad to hear this happened to other babies, in a stupid way I was feeling like he was a bit weird! :oops:
I agree with you all, time to baby proof! I'm going to enclose a large area in our sitting room for him to explore.
Liz x

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 10:54:01 am »
alex started crawling at 5 mo and i expected her to walk early but she got so good at crawling that she did not walk independently until 14 mo old. the good thing about early crawlers is that with the mobility they can get to toys/places they want on their own and use their bodies more (can wear them out easier to hopefully sleep better). I think exploration is great for them - i just put outlet covers in and removed anything dangerous and let her at the whole place except the bathroom. (although when it as just dd1 we lived in a carpeted 2 BR apartment which was smaller and easier to manage)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Liz R

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 10:57:26 am »
that's really true about the sleeping ! I haven't known naps like it!
WHY do they have to love potted plants/ chair legs/magazines etc when they have lovely safe colourful toys though?!  :lol:

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 11:10:28 am »
is my Olivia hanging out with your lo - she is forever ripping the leavesoff the plants, scooping handfuls of dirt and destroyng my mags  :lol:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified