Author Topic: stopping breastfeeding at 2 months  (Read 11762 times)

Offline lisas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
stopping breastfeeding at 2 months
« on: January 09, 2006, 05:06:09 am »
Is there anyone who stopped breastfeeding prematurely?  I have been having all kinds of problems (blocked ducts, matitis, bleeding nipples) and have decided that, once my infection clears up, I will stop nursing.  It is a hard decision but I have a 3 year old as well and this is affecting my whole family.  Anyone have information on the easiest/less painful way to stop. 

Thanks

Lisa

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 05:22:16 am »
I am sorry. You can still enjoy your little one without nursing. I am sure all the wonderful ladies on here can give you some support. HUGS

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 18:34:50 pm »
Don't feel bad... you aren't the only one. I've got similar issues with the exception of the mastitis. I found that droping one nursing/pumping session every week worked fairly easily. There was still a bit of discomfort, but definately tolerable. That was with my dd at seven months, but she was already formula supplemented and my supply was very low. I have been pumping with ds and the supply had been fine. I started cutting back on the number of times per day I was pumping and that seemed to work out pretty well. I was definately looking forward to emptying my  breasts at the next time after the skipped one, but it didn't hurt too badly. Hugs to you. I finally got to the point where I was ready to begin stopping. I have a freezer full of milk.... but guess what? Ds will not drink the frozen milk. I am trying to get him to accept formula gradually... I'm up to 1:3 mix (formula to breast milk), but I had to add back in a pumping session to get enough milk to do that.  :?
It took me a while to be okay with the decision to stop... I wasn't expecting that I would have to go backwards now that I was looking forward to getting rid of one more "chore"!

Best of luck to you. Good job for making it to two months. Your baby benefited from that as well!!!!

Sandy
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 21:51:57 pm »
I am so embarrassed to admit this but I used the proverbial cabbage leaves to stop the swelling and the pain after I decided to stop breastfeeding. I wanted to stop quickly and didn't want to do it gradually. I read some old wive's tale about putting cabbage leaves on your breasts if you want to stop. I don't know what exactly about it worked but I didn't have a lot of pain and the swelling went down in a couple of days. Of course, I felt like a complete fool putting cabbage leaves in my bra (actually, a couple of those cabbage leaves fit me better than my bra!  :wink: ). I don't know if you want to try this, but it worked for me.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 22:44:12 pm »
with olivia i stopped at 3 mo as i had mastitis, supply issues, PPD and it was all too much for me with a toddler in the house (19 mo gap) so i set out to drop one a week but found she/my body was fine with every 3 days and in 2 weeks she was all on bottles.  i still feel some sadness and guilt that i stopped so early but at the time it was the right decision for us and i definitely felt conneted to her and had the physical closeness during bottle feeds to and with less stress/pain involved i could try to enjoy her more  :D
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 23:00:09 pm »
Gabrielle- the cabbag leaves aren't an old wives tale!  My doctor said to try that as well.  I also took B6 supplements (can't remember the dosage now) to help.

Offline GabrielleD

• Maryland, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 23:50:05 pm »
Tammy,

Thank God you told me that your MD recommended the cabbage leaf solution. I felt like a complete moron while I was doing it. But it felt really good, so I kept doing it and the pain went away quickly. DH had a good laugh about it, and we have some pictures of DS trying to nurse while I have a cabbage leaf in my bra and we decided that he wanted an early start on vegetables. :)

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 00:02:08 am »
I used cabbage leaves too!   :lol:   I stopped cold turkey because of DS refusing to eat, reflux, suspected allergies to something in my milk, etc.  I have to admit that my engorged breasts really did hurt for several days.  Maybe it was in my head, but the cabbage seemed to help!

Good luck to you...  I am sure you are making the best decision for your family.
Sheila
ng

Offline lisas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 00:02:53 am »
Thank you all so much for the input.  I went to the doctor today as he thinks I now have an abcess!!  I am still having a hard time with the decision to quit because eventhough Zachary takes a bottle, he will only take 2 - 3 ounces and then wants to breastfeed.  I find all I do is cry out of guilt.  I know this will all pass but the pain is the least of my worries, it is feeling bad about him missing out.  I was even thinking of just feeding him on the one good side.  What to do.  I also heard about the cabbage leaves and know someone who used them and was successful.  I know now a fridge full of cabbage.  Also, did anyone feed their child soy based formula?  I heard that it produced less gas in the baby.  Right now Zachary takes Enfalac.  I also heard that you shouldn't change if there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks again for your input.

Lisa

Offline GabrielleD

• Maryland, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
Lisa,

I started DS on Similac, but switched him to Isomil (soy-based) at about 6 weeks on the pediatrician's recommendation and it got rid of his gassiness, spit ups, and fussiness during eating. I would say I saw a result after about 2 days. He had no problems adjusting to the new formula. HTH

Offline lisas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 18:32:58 pm »
Thanks Gabrielle, I too switched Zachary to Enfamil (soy based) and I actually belive I noticed a difference in his comfort durng sleeping on the first night.  Either way, he appears more rested.  I am still breastfeeding too as I'm having a hard time letting that go and am actually starting to feel better too.  What to do.

Lisa

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 19:28:18 pm »
Lisa... if you think you can swing it, you could still breastfeed and supplement. It's what I did with dd. I didn't want to stop either, but was actually relieved when I finally did. Her pediatrician was very nice and told me that if I wanted to keep breastfeeding even though I was pretty sure she was only getting a couple of ounces that she benefited from that and got the extra calories she needed from the formula. I can tell you though, that the recurrent milk duct problems continued until the end. They did not get any better up through seven months. On the days I was blocked, I swore I would quit and when they resolved I thought, "this isn't so bad, maybe I'll keep going". I don't know how long I'll hang on this time. I just know it is so hard to pick up a baby and/or a toddler when your breasts hurt. It puts me in such a bad mood when it happens and I'm pretty sure that my husband is secretly praying for me to stop, but as you know... it is really a hard decision to make when your want to do it and it is your body that is making you think about stopping... not your desire!

Glad to hear about the cabbage leaves... I'm going to give that a try! The other thing I wanted to mention is that I never had to use breast pads before, but as I was stopping (even with a low supply) I did start leaking some. Although... the cabbage leaves may stop any wetness from coming through  :lol:

Hugs!

Offline lisas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 22:40:19 pm »
Thanks Sandy.  I know what you mean about sore breasts and a husband that wants you to quit.  My husband supports whatever I want to do but when I was pumping one night and had blood in my milk, he was done!!  He can't believe what a mother will do to continue breastfeeding.  There's no doubt he would have quit with the first blocked duct on Xmas morning.  I am now just feeding Zachary formula and topping up with breastmilk.  I not sure how much he is getting but I believe it is more about comfort (mine and his).  I don't know how long I will do this because, like you, I don't like having sore breasts and being bitchy.  ha

Best of luck to you too and thanks for the support.

Lisa

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 01:51:07 am »
I'm glad that you posted. I feel better, too. I don't wish this situation on anyone, but I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one with this dilemma. I was so hoping that this time around would be easier than with dd. I was dreaming that all my experience from last time would make it a breeze for me once I got past the initial start up and I would make it through the whole first year! Oh well... having a healthy baby AND a happy healthy mom is best for the whole family.  :)

I just hope the little guy will start taking his formula bottles as if he likes them and isn't being tortured by them! I'm upping his formula to 50% starting tomorrow to see what happens. He is a refluxer and on top of that he has an upper respiratory problem (laryngomalacia) that often makes taking his bottle stressful anyway. Be thankful that your baby isn't freaking out over the formula bottles! Dd never cared so it threw me for a loop that ds had a preference  :roll:

Hang in there... in a few months this will seem like ancient history... right?

Offline lisas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 04:44:00 am »
Sandy, I hate to say it but I spent the first 5 weeks of Zachry's life wishing he ws older.  I was so tired and he did not sleep until I started putting him on his stomach.  He had really bad gas and just screamed for 5 weeks.  That was trying.  I don't remember things being this hard with my first but I also let him sleep on my chest for 8 weeks!!  I wanted to do everything "right" this time but that hasn't exactly been the case.  He sleeps better now but the problems with latching/breast infections have certainly made me feel blue.  I'm not sure if I have post pardum depression but rather sleep depreviation.  This wesite has really helped me find support and to know I'm not alone.

Thanks again Lisa