Author Topic: How much independent play time for 8 month old?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How much independent play time for 8 month old?
« on: January 11, 2006, 22:29:04 pm »
My 8 month old Spirited/Textbook son can only play alone for 10 minutes or so without crying for me. How long should he be able to play by himself at this age? I've heard about the necessity of private or independent play time but don't know how long he should be doing this at this age. Thank you for any help!

Julie

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 00:53:00 am »
is ten minutes new or shorter than it used to be or has this always been him?  (some bubs suddenly "need" you closeby at about this age as they start to get some separation anxiety)
maybe test the limits a bit... can he entertain himself as long as you are close/ in the same room/ talking to him/ making noises he can hear?
also my son does better in the morning (when he is well rested) than in the evening at playing independently and is also better with new toys or favourite toys.
at the end of the day, all babies are different in what they can do and tolerate, that's what keeps us mommies on our toes (and keeps us asking each other questions!  :wink: )
let us know!

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 17:06:25 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply. I apologize for not responding sooner, but my LO has an ear infection and is on his 3rd antibiotic to try to cure him - so I haven't got any sleep! Yes, he has always been able to go about 10 minutes or so on his own before getting upset. I tried talking to him while in the room and that seemed to work for a few more minutes. I think you are right about the separation anxiety - he's just started getting upset when I leave for work in the morning. And you're right about the morning being easier to play longer than the evening too. I'll try your suggestions and see how that goes. We have a nanny during they day, and I just didn't want to raise a spoiled child who needed constant attention and entertaining.

Thank you so much!
Julie (Jack's mom)

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • http://www.crystal-seasons.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 18:09:03 pm »
hi my 8 month old went though a needy phase when he was teething maybe when his ear infection clears up he will play better?? afterall I know that when i am ill i call my mum!
clare
Life's a journey, not a destination!

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 23:52:12 pm »
awww, poor Jack! (and poor you!)
i hope he feels better soon... i agree that having painful ears could easily make him want his mom around more than usual...
let us know how you are getting on!